Dimensional Lumber versus yellow pine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddler

New User
Todd
I'm going to build a fold down work table against the wall of my garage to give myself a more stable work surface than the folding tables I now use. It won't be anything fancy, Melamine over plywood top and a couple of fold out "fence gate" style legs.

I have the plans drawn out, and was going to use simple 2x4 or 2x6's from HomeDepot for the wall mounts and legs. Then I noticed that for only a few dollars more I can buy 2x12 yellow pine boards. IIRC, that's what we used for the stair treads in my last garage. I'd have to rip them to 2x6's, but would the yellow pine lumber be more dimensionally stable than framing lumber over time, and is it dried to a lower MC than framing lumber?

Thanks,

Todd

Thanks,

Todd

DavidF

New User
David
I'm going to build a fold down work table against the wall of my garage to give myself a more stable work surface than the folding tables I now use. It won't be anything fancy, Melamine over plywood top and a couple of fold out "fence gate" style legs.

I have the plans drawn out, and was going to use simple 2x4 or 2x6's from HomeDepot for the wall mounts and legs. Then I noticed that for only a few dollars more I can buy 2x12 yellow pine boards. IIRC, that's what we used for the stair treads in my last garage. I'd have to rip them to 2x6's, but would the yellow pine lumber be more dimensionally stable than framing lumber over time, and is it dried to a lower MC than framing lumber?

Thanks,

Todd

Thanks,

Todd

Hi Todd,

I built a similar thing and used scrap from our development and the old 4 x 2 worked just fine - think cheap!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with David, think cheap. It shouldn't be an issue. IIRC, most dimensional is SPF (spruce, pine, or fir) with only the bigger stuff getting to be yellow pine.

FWIW, I am building a new frame for a solid core door to use as a general use bench and it is all out of douglas fir I bought a while back at an auction. soft stuff, but strong enough for what I am using it for.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
The issue is more the moisture content of wood rather than the species. Most construction dimensional lumber is only dried to about 12% and much is KD to even higher point. It's the same with SYP also. There should be a stamp on the construction lumber indicating whether it has been KD and to what moisture content it was dried to.

In general, pines are more stable than some other soft woods. Most dimentional lumber is marked as "SPF" (Spruce, Pine, Fir) so you don't know what species you are really getting.

Bottom line is that any construction lumber should be acclimated in your shop for at least four weeks before you begin to use it.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
One thing in favor of SYP. It's generally easier to find straight SYP 2x12's than fir 2x4's. Also, you can pick them so you can end up with QS boards after ripping.

pete

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I'll second Travis' suggestion for using a solid core door. Check the habitat re-use store. There's one in Durham (never been to that one) and one in Raleigh. I'd gladly stop by the one in Raleigh for you to check their inventory.
I've gotten 4 doors there in the past and never paid more than $20 (as little as $5!). They're dead flat, heavy and solid.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Thanks for all the information. I'll let the wood acclimate with either choice, and I'll definately look into the habitat re-use store.
Todd

sapwood

New User
Roger
Todd,
Don't think you will find doors, etc., at Durham Reuse Center in Durham. It's much smaller and more focused on furniture, small electronics, and appliances. It is well worth the extra few miles to visit the Raleigh Reuse Center. Plus, you will find something you can't live without at a great price :lol:

Roger

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Don't forget about the one in Pittsboro. Give them a call and ask for Al. Tell him I referred you. He will take good care of you.
Mark

Toddler

New User
Todd
Thanks guys. I'll check both of those out. I was just going to glue melamine to a 3/4" piece of plywood.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Go cheap. I built one in the garage with cheapo 2x4 frame and melamine top and it works just fine...when it's not covered with junk! I faced the frame with melamine for appearance sake.

I searched through a whole lotta 2x4s at the BORG to find straight ones!

Chuck

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you go to a builders supply, you can get pretty nice #2 Southern Pine for less per bf than the fir 2 x 4's at the Borg. The smallest you will find is probably 2x8 in 8' lengths (you can get 2x6 in 16' lengths). I just bought some for a bench I'm building and it came out to about 38 cents a bf. ($3.93 per board and they let me pick the ones I wanted from the stack, my truck was parked next to the stack, and they helped load). Note that most 2x8s now are only 7 1/8" wide altho they are still about 1 1/2" thick.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS