Dial Indicator for General Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I borrowed a friend's dial indicator to check out the tolerances on my new Rikon bandsaw wheel and realized this is a useful tool. The one I used resolved to 0.0001 inches, which seems a bit much for WW setup.

I had considered purchasing this from Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9849 it's reasonably priced!

Any feed back or recommendations for an economical (cheap), reasonably durable solution is appreciated.

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have it. It is ok. I would recommend getting the additional tips. One thing I read and do is not get it to zero when using and adjusting it to have tension.

I would buy it again.

M

McRabbet

I bought this same "President's Special" when I visited Grizzly in Muncy, PA in 2004 -- it's a good, useful setup tool. I've used it on several of my power tools: table saw, jointer and miter saw. Even used it to check the run out on my drill press (close to nil, thank you very much!).

In sum, a great value. Rob

Monty

New User
Monty
Yep, I've got it... works just fine. Take a look at this, too, if you need a dial caliper.

Edit: oh yea, while you're there, pick up these too! can't beat the price for 4 stainless steel machinist squares (although they have gone up by $2 since I bought mine! )

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
insomniac said:
Edit: oh yea, while you're there, pick up these too! can't beat the price for 4 stainless steel machinist squares (although they have gone up by $2 since I bought mine! )

Where were your machinist squares made? I picked up a set of 3 from Woodcraft awhile ago from there web site that were made in India and I have not been too impressed with them. The blade on one of them is loose and is not accurate.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Not sure. Probably India. Mine are all good though. I heard good reviews on these as well. Besides, even if I throw one of mine away, I still paid less than ½ of what WC wants for their 3-piece set!!! :p

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
insomniac said:
Not sure. Probably India. Mine are all good though. I heard good reviews on these as well. Besides, even if I throw one of mine away, I still paid less than ½ of what WC wants for their 3-piece set!!! :p

Well, when you get ready to throw it away, throw it my way so I can have a set of four just like you.:lol:

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Insom,

That is a great deal for an item I use everytime I'm in the shop. I have ONE from Woodworker Supply (a Groz) and it cost almost as much as the FOUR you have :-?

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS