Dewalt DW735 Issue

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have had the DW735 for about 16 years. No issues other than a drive belt replacement. I have been busy milling up some stock for my latest project and noticed that the thickness adjustment crank is getting really difficult to turn. I took off the cover, cleaned out sawdust that didn't make it through the blower and inspected what can be seen of the carriage chain. I put some dry lube on the threaded corner posts. Still misbehaving.

I was wondering if anyone else with this great planer has ever experienced a similar issue or have any idea of what else I can look at to free up the carriage travel?

Thanks

Wayne

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The Bearings that turn the chain sprocket rod. Usually there is a top and bottom (could be a brass Babbit type) either way these can get gunked up and/or might need replacing. There are 4 rods one in each corner, look at those and make sure they are clean and free of debris. Then re-lube and give it a go.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I had a problem with mine. The chain sprockets were breaking. Had it fixed twice by Dewalt in Raleigh and finally sold it. It was great while it lasted.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
The Bearings that turn the chain sprocket rod. Usually there is a top and bottom (could be a brass Babbit type) either way these can get gunked up and/or might need replacing. There are 4 rods one in each corner, look at those and make sure they are clean and free of debris. Then re-lube and give it a go.
What would you suggest as a lubricant for the post rods, Casey?

Thanks
Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I had this problem with a delta lunch box planer. DeWalt is probably different but what I found on the delta is a plastic cover on the bottom had caked up chips making the chain bind up. I removed the cover blew it out and it worked like new again. Maybe the DeWalt has the same cover over the chain drive.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I had this problem with a delta lunch box planer. DeWalt is probably different but what I found on the delta is a plastic cover on the bottom had caked up chips making the chain bind up. I removed the cover blew it out and it worked like new again. Maybe the DeWalt has the same cover over the chain drive.
You are right Fred. When you lift the top off the Dewalt it exposes the chain drive. After awhile there is an accumulation of chips that didn't make through the blower to the DC. I vacuumed what I could, but me thinks I'll break out the compressor tomorrow and give a good shot of air.
Thanks for the info

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Once you get the top off, look for a tensioning gear that has two mounting screws. It’s near the front of the Dewalt. You may try loosening that some.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Once you get the top off, look for a tensioning gear that has two mounting screws. It’s near the front of the Dewalt. You may try loosening that some.
Thanks Mark! I had never noticed that adjustment. Found it! I'll continue with my "deep cleaning" and if doesn't do it, I will try tweeking with that adjustment!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I use electrical silicone spray, it has no residue. Then, I use a small amount of mineral oil applied either with animal syringe or a Q-tip.

What would you suggest as a lubricant for the post rods, Casey?

Thanks
Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
You are right Fred. When you lift the top off the Dewalt it exposes the chain drive. After awhile there is an accumulation of chips that didn't make through the blower to the DC. I vacuumed what I could, but me thinks I'll break out the compressor tomorrow and give a good shot of air.
Thanks for the info
On the delta the chain cover was on the bottom of the machine. The chain controls the up and down motion keeping both ends of the cutterhead traveling equally. I had to turn my machine upside down to access it. You may find the DeWalt has another chain drive underneath for the same reason. Or I could just be FOS. ;) not being familiar with the DeWalt and all

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well, some success!

I vacuumed, broke out my compressor and blew out all those hidden shavings. I cleaned everything with Simple Green and lubricated each the four carriage lift posts with Glide Cote. I also lubricated the upper lift chains and sprockets with Blaster aerosol lithium grease. Johnson's paste wax on the tables. Height and thickness adjustments are once again smooth as silk from 1/8" minimum to 6".

I ran about 8 board feet through it and it ran like a champ!

One other problem cropped up!!! I opened the top and found that there must be leak between the fan shroud and the dust shute that should carry the shavings out of the planer! There was a mess of shavings in there from a relatively little run time. I'll have to remove the dust shute and inspect for cracks! Job for tomorrow.

Thanks to you all for helping me through this adventure.

Wayne

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If it is an older unit, look at the bottom around the perimeter, if it is warped, then it would not seal, part # 5140010-00 for DeWalt Replacement Dust Shroud DW735 DW735X about 34-35 bucks .......... or you could just apply then rubber on the bottom to improve the seal.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
If it is an older unit, look at the bottom around the perimeter, if it is warped, then it would not seal, part # 5140010-00 for DeWalt Replacement Dust Shroud DW735 DW735X about 34-35 bucks .......... or you could just apply then rubber on the bottom to improve the seal.
Thanks Casey. Not sure yet if maybe the flange on the fan shroud may have broke. I'll check out both. With the planer's age I wouldn't be surprised if the plastic parts like these may getting dry and brittle!

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
On mine it was the plastic part that the dust shroud mates with. A hole had been created by an airborne knot; I think. It was in a spot pretty hard to see. Ordered the part, installed it and it back to normal. IMHO, chips should not be present inside the unit if everything is working properly.
bobby g

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
On mine it was the plastic part that the dust shroud mates with. A hole had been created by an airborne knot; I think. It was in a spot pretty hard to see. Ordered the part, installed it and it back to normal. IMHO, chips should not be present inside the unit if everything is working properly.
bobby g
I believe that I have the same issue, Bobby. I haven't had a chance to take a look at the fan housing to see if that's the issue on mine (the plastic half that receives the dust shroud).
Fan Housing Set 5140103-77 - OEM DeWALT - eReplacementParts.com

Did you have to replace the whole fan housing? (Ie was the hole in housing behind the fan blade.)

Pretty expensive part IMO.

Thanks

Wayne

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I believe that I have the same issue, Bobby. I haven't had a chance to take a look at the fan housing to see if that's the issue on mine (the plastic half that receives the dust shroud).
Fan Housing Set 5140103-77 - OEM DeWALT - eReplacementParts.com

Did you have to replace the whole fan housing? (Ie was the hole in housing behind the fan blade.)

Pretty expensive part IMO.

Thanks

Wayne
I did have to replace the whole thing. I grumbled a lot when I found out I could only buy both pieces but later saw that actually needed both.
bobby g

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I did have to replace the whole thing. I grumbled a lot when I found out I could only buy both pieces but later saw that actually needed both.
bobby g
I just looked up my order thru Amazon and it was $60.00 with "free" shipping.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looks like I too am into replacing the fan housing and fan! Looks like the same issue that you had resolved!
IMG_6593.jpeg
IMG_6588.jpeg

Kinda hard to see but at least 2 fins on the fan broke off. Onto placing an order!

Thanks again for all of your input.

Wayne

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS