Delta SS250 scroll saw vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My in-laws gave me re-conditioned low-end Delta scroll saw for my B-day. I don't expect it to act like a Hawk or higher-end saw. But mine vibrates horribly. I don't know if that is par for the course with a low-end saw, or if something that should have been re-conditioned wasn't. I've only used it once, and the vibrations made it a not enjoyable experience. Anyone have experience with this saw, or others in the $100 price range. Thanks, for your advice, Dave:)

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
I have a Duracraft industrial scroll saw, and it vibrates enough to make things fall off the wall. It came with a rubber mat to go under it, but im thinking about using some heavy springs between the mat and the saw base, which will make something like a shock absorber.

cskipper

Cathy
I'm glad to know that I am not the only one with a problem of vibration with my Delta scrollsaw. We're trying a couple of things to stop it. If that doesn't work I have someone in Simpsonville that said I can bring it to him and he'll check the bearings... Mine was new and still vibrated.

Monty

New User
Monty
Hmmm... that's funny. My Delta scroll saw doesn't vibrate at all.

IMG_5407.sized.jpg

Of course, it's still in its box!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It also sounds like a helicopper landing. It is the bottom of the line Delta. But since starting that thread I've met others with the same saw, not bought "re-conditioned" and their saws are the same. I guess you get what you pay for. Those that find scrollsaw work a relaxing hobby, must be using much better saws. Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey Insomniac, that's an old picture. Isn't your D4 residing in a beautiful box now? I think that your saw, from what I can tell by the box:lol: :lol: is the step up from mine. I will love to hear your review once you get the time to open it up. Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
DaveO: here's is a little advice to preserve your mental hygiene. When you get to WG's shop next Saturday, whatever you do, DO NOT look at his scroll saw. If he offers to show it to you, CAST YOUR EYES AWAY! And whatever you do, if he offers to let you turn it on and try it out, DON'T DO IT, MAN!!!!

This has been a public service announcement.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am just scared to go into WG's shop in general, for fear of fainting from tool envy. If I gather the courage, will you stand behind me in case the vapors :drunken_s overtake me. Oh, I feel faint just thinking about 2 bandsaws and that 10" Oliver jointer8-O . He must know what David Marks feels like when he walks out into his shop. Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Insomniac, I just finally got what you meant in your response. Too funny! If you ever unpack it let us know if you have a vibration problem.

Monty

New User
Monty
:lol: Glad you got it. I hate it when people think I'm serious. :-D I'm making more progress on the shop lately than I ever have, so it may not be too long before I'll give it a try.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Daveo,

If the vibration problem turns out not to be the scroll saw, I may have a solution. I have a few pieces of the padding used on weight room floors that works great for my belt sander and scroll saw. They are odd shaped pieces about 3/4 inch thick but can be cut as needed. They are great for dampening vibration and very durable. You're welcome to a piece (I got the left overs when local health club installed new padding).

Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Roger, I may have to take you up on that offer. My saw has rubber feet, but they don't do a lot. Ryan suggested something similar so I trust a dual recommendation. Now I just need to find time to do some scrollin'. Thanks,

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks, that did confirm my suspictions that my scrollsaw isn't very good. And that I'm glad that those type of forum exchanges will not happen here. I really don't like to see people bitchin' like that in a friendly information exchanged based forum. We are better than that. Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
I talked to the Delta folks today in Hickory and found out some very interesting information. The 250 is intended to cut up to 3/4" thickness of wood. They should really tell you things like that. I've been cutting 3-D Christmas ornaments and candlesticks out of 1.5" stock - hardwood no less. So I guess I've caused most of my vibration problems. It'll be a while before I can afford a better saw - so I'll have to scale back down. I may have taken it past the point of no return - and may not even be able to do smaller things. Who knew??:BangHead:

Jay

New User
Jay
I was reading up a little on scroll sawing and saw one answer to scroll saw vibration. The scroll saw was bolted to the floor in the corner and then a new table was mounted just above the old table to the two walls in the corner. This new table does not contact the saw and thus is not affected by any vibration of the saw. Can't give any more details than that. It wasn't an original idea just something I read.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's an interesting solution, but probably more work than getting a decent saw. WG's Hawk can balance a nickel even when turned on and off. That's a good saw. If you want to play you got to pay. Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
I agree that that sounds like an intersting solution, but I don't even have one corner of walls available, let alone two. Guess I just start saving my $ for a bigger saw. Thanks again for the input.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
First let me say that I don't have this SS, mine is an old Shopsmith and works fine for me. But I can't help thinking that if I did have one I'd start disconnecting things until the vibration stopped. ie:

1- motor run smoothly ?
2- motor and pulley ?
3- motor, pulleys and belt?
4- motor, pulleys, belt, pitman arm and lower arm?

Well, you get the idea. Somewhere in this power train is some slop (lash) or something is out-of-round (pulley), or bad bearings.
Anyway, good luck.
Joe

cskipper

Cathy
Well, I am embarrasses :oops: . When I got home last weekend I read the manual again and my saw wasn't a 250 but a 570. I cannot imagine where I saw 250 unless I just glanced at the number when the book was upside down. Sorry for the misrepresentation.:oops: :BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS