Delta mortiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
cutting square holes for the first time tonight with a Delta 14-651. I am sure that having sat in storage for much of the last year or so may have affected it negatively. What to do for tune-up? it came with three sets of chisels, two of which are in the original packaging. Everything turns fine, and I have heard that the effort may be more than initially expected, but I am only cutting cypress. any thoughts?

thanks!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
come over and see it, that way I have witnesses until I have earned camera privileges again.

problem was I spaced on the depth stop:eusa_doh: cuts nice square holes as deep as I can stand em, now. :) bookmarking that link.

Monty

New User
Monty
Great link, Michael. Pete, I think you'll like that mortiser. If it seems to take too much effort, almost always it's because the gap between the end of the bit and the end of the chisel is not quite right. Play around with that setting until the tool works easier. Also make sure you're using a sharp chisel like that article shows.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
When I first got mine, it took all my strength to just pull the handle down....and I ain't a small guy, and I wasn't even mortising. It turned out that the dovetailed guides were just a little too tight, a slight adjustment and the action was as smooth as silk.

Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks guys! not yet having printed the owner's manual, those two articles really explained set up and tuning very well. I'll just have to glue a small coin dish to the tool holder :lol:

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Tom....Thanks for the info and the site, Newwoodworker.com, this is the first time I"ve seen this site and it's a winner. Bookmarked it for future reference.

Dan C.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That site is Tom's site. full of good info, and he often sells some of the things he tests on this forum first, tho' it has been a while...?

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Boy, this forum gets better every time I get on. :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Great link, Michael. Pete, I think you'll like that mortiser. If it seems to take too much effort, almost always it's because the gap between the end of the bit and the end of the chisel is not quite right. Play around with that setting until the tool works easier. Also make sure you're using a sharp chisel like that article shows.
One thin dime, only one thin dime. I use a dime to set chisel. Mount chisel almost up against body with a dime (flat ways) as a spacer. Install bit into chisel, firmly against chisel. Them loosen chisel and move upwards the thickness of the dime that was used a a spacer earlier. Couldn't be any easier.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yup. seems real easy, now I just have to keep my 7y.o. from grabbing every piece of silver he sees and sticking it into his coin sorter :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS