Delta 14" Bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I recently won $400 at a 50/50 raffle. I am looking at the Delta 14" Bandsaw at Lowe's. It is $399, but with my military discount will be $359 + tax.

Any opinions on the new Delta? I know it is made in China - so are most. It looks to an untrained eye like it is finished pretty well.

I should have enough for a couple of extra blades. What kinds of blades should I buy? This is my first bandsaw.

I have looked a couple of used ones, but both need tires and rub blocks, and could use much TLC. I want to start with a new one if it is a good saw.

Thanks for any responses.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
My suggestion - if feasible, buy a used bandsaw. I have two used American-made Delta 14" saws in my shop and they cost me $225 and 300 respectively and both were ready to work. Both bought here in the Triangle area in the last 3 years.

If you can't wait, Lowes has a generous return policy

re: blades - you pick blades (and the bandsaw) based on the type of work you want to do. Without knowing what you intend to use the saw for, my generic recommendation would be to buy a 1/4" 6-8 tpi blade for curve-cutting and a 1/2" or 3/4" 3tpi-ish blade for resawing.

-Mark

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most 14" saw can't really handle a 3/4" blade. Yes they fit but most are under powered for 3/4. For resawing I recommend the "wood slicer" blade from Highland Hardware.

I second the motion to go used for your first saw.

RickC

New User
Rick
I would also endorse the recommendation to go used for your first saw. Plus, you could use some of the money you saved to upgrade the motor to something to better handle the resawing. oof oof oof - more power! :icon_cheers

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
We have used the 14" Delta saw to routinely cut 2" material. It performs well. Max blade I have ever used on it is 1/2" Don't know about resaw, we don't do it.

BiggE98

New User
Eric
I have this particular saw and it works fine for what I do (haven't gotten into any resaw stuff, yet). I personally like new machinery because I know I take care of it well (clean routinely, make adjustments, etc.). I won't argue with buying used either especially if you won't use the tool regularly or if you are unsure of what you want from the tool. I will add this; if you decide to get the Lowes saw check around on the prices. They routinely put that saw on sale in Durham for about what your military discount is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors