deal on 8" jointer from grizzly new unfortunately it will not work for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
the only parts that matter are the fence, bed, motoer, cutterhead, pulleys and knives. paint aint squat! it has no function other than to make it pretty.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
The link now has a picture of the blemish. Very minor. Looks like you're getting a great deal!:)

The link now has a picture of the blemish. Very minor. Looks like you're getting a great deal!:)

yea it does not seem bad on the one he got.... I wonder how much they very considering I was told they had dozens in inventory tue other day and would they really crack open every crate to see if they were messed up or not I figure they are just dumping a whole container load

it appears that Grizzly has sold out of G0656PB so who all eneded up gettimg them..... mine comes in thursday but I am not sure when I will get to put my hand on it since it is being delivered to a different city then I am currently in.... I look forward to a assembly thread

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
I've been thinking about buying one of these and my wife is concerned about the delivery and setup. Your photos are very helpful. It looks as though two reasonably fit guys can handle the movement of the top to the base. I'm assuming the base can be handled by one person? Any tricks or issues to be aware of?

ehpoole

Ethan
I've been thinking about buying one of these and my wife is concerned about the delivery and setup. Your photos are very helpful. It looks as though two reasonably fit guys can handle the movement of the top to the base. I'm assuming the base can be handled by one person? Any tricks or issues to be aware of?

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The typical 8" Jointer tends to weigh in around about 400lbs total (give or take a bit). Of that about a 100lbs is in the base and motor and the other 300lbs is in the jointer beds and fence assembly.

You can (optionally) further reduce the 300lbs figure by a healthy bit (50-70lbs) if you remove much of the fence assembly before lifting. The remaining assembly can easily be lifted onto the base by two persons. There are typically just a couple of bolts that secure the jointer assembly to the base, so once lifted onto the base it usually isn't difficult to finish the assembly.

When lifting, pickup the jointer beds as close to the main body as possibly -- that is avoid picking it up by way of the outer ends of each bed -- to avoid placing excessive stress on the cast iron.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

I picked mine up at the UPS Freight office and a guy with a fork lift put it on the truck. I brought it home and unpacked it in the bed of the truck. Got the base off the truck by myself - it is a little heavy for a single person with the major weight being the motor. The fence is a separately shipped/packed item so it can be moved inside by itself. The remaining piece with the beds was more than I could do by myself so I waited until the wife got home from work. She and I unloaded it by ourselves. We only had to lift and lower it about a foot onto the base where it attached with 3 bolts. I then rolled the base inside and began the cleanup and assembly.

Actual shipping weight according to Grizzly was 500 lbs.

- Ken.

Last edited:

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
I picked mine up at the UPS Freight office and a guy with a fork lift put it on the truck. I brought it home and unpacked it in the bed of the truck. Got the base off the truck by myself - it is a little heavy for a single person with the major weight being the motor. The fence is a separately shipped/packed item so it can be moved inside by itself. The remaining piece with the beds was more than I could do by myself so I waited until the wife got home from work. She and I unloaded it by ourselves. We only had to lift and lower it about a foot onto the base where it attached with 3 bolts. I then rolled the base inside and began the cleanup and assembly.

Actual shipping weight according to Grizzly was 500 lbs.

- Ken.

Ken & Ethan -

Thanks for sharing your experience. Very helpful. I procrastinated too long on ordering the blemished jointer. However, I did decide to use my 10% Grizzly coupon Monday to buy the G0490 8" jointer with spiral cutter. I'm now looking for a strong teen in the neighborhood to help me move the bed from my pickup to the base since my wife wants nothing to do with the assembly. Can't wait to get it up and running. I will finally be able to start some projects and use some of the hardwood lumber I've been accumulating.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Chuck,

I am totally jealous...that 490x is the setup I have decided on (pending another good review) I look forward to your impressions as you get it unpacked and operating. Congrats on pulling the trigger.

Chuck,

I am totally jealous...that 490x is the setup I have decided on (pending another good review) I look forward to your impressions as you get it unpacked and operating. Congrats on pulling the trigger.

I am not sure you meed amother good review in all my searching I did not find a bad review of the 490... but since it was the old dovetail style that was the paimt blemish I will live with the old style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS