deal on 8" jointer from grizzly new unfortunately it will not work for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
For $595, you should get it and replace the motor. I'm sure you can find someone who needs to trade for a bigger motor a lot easier than a trade for a bigger jointer. You could even buy a new 1.5 HP motor for a couple hundred and sell the 3 HP for more and reduce your cost further.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
How far is your shop from the electrical panel? It shouldn't cost a fortune to add a 220 outlet, unless of course it would. I'm very happy with my 8" Grizzly Jointer, btw. That is a very good deal you've found there.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
How far is your shop from the electrical panel? It shouldn't cost a fortune to add a 220 outlet, unless of course it would.

I was thinking the same when I saw your original request - I don't believe I've ever seen an 8" jointer that would run on 110V, (though I've never specifically looked either). At 110V you may run into capacity issues when stepping up to a larger machine. A larger HP motor, (1-2HP?) would require several amps @ 110V, (check the motor label for "Full load amps", FLA) - potentially more than a typical 15/20A breaker could support w/o tripping?

I've run 220V in my own shop pretty easily and cheaply - maybe $100? Of course, you individual circumstances may vary.

Good luck!

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have an 8" delta jointer that can be wired for 110v or 220v. It is currently set up for 110v. Running 220v is not very hard at all.

Bryan S

Bryan
If I was in the market for an 8 in jointer I think I would be all over it. Even though I am not, if I had the cash I would be all over it waiting until I have 220 up and going. When ever that day will be.

the only way I could get 220 at etheir locations would be to steal it from the dryer.... both panels are maxed out at both locations the only way to get more is have a new panel come off the meter and that it currently not possible at this time

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I made a 30 ft extension cord for my 220 to plug into the lathe outlet and run out to the driveway for my planer. It works fine and only cost about $75.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
the only way I could get 220 at etheir locations would be to steal it from the dryer.... both panels are maxed out at both locations the only way to get more is have a new panel come off the meter and that it currently not possible at this time

When I had my garage shop I did just that. Added a simple junction box and tapped into the dryer circuit. Ran for years without an issue even with both dryer and tools in use. It sure is a temptation.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
+1 on a Sub Panel. It will open up so many more tools to your shop. You can often find bargains from cabinet shops or stuff going out of business and all of them are at least 220v if not 3ph. But rarely do you get such deep discounts on good 110v equipment. That what I have experienced. Of course "With regular exercise and a regimented diet" and "results may differ from individuals, no guarantee is implied"

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
replace four breakers with two piggyback breakers and a 240 breaker. voila problem solved.

thsb

New User
Tim
not sure what my electrician did but where i had one 220 single outlet he made it into a double outlet.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Even when I got an electrician out to wire in 220v from the breaker box, the cost for his services and the new breakers were still cheaper than buying a new motor, and I have 220 for the other machines I have bought since. That machine is probably going to run better on 220 and using the motor it comes with is going to be much easier than finding another that fits and is adjusted properly.

At another previous house, I connected an outside 220 outlet (exterior box) to the dryer line and, like Mike Davis, ran an extension cord for about 20 feet. Worked fine. Only once in several years did the breaker trip when the wife didn't realize I was using the line.

Good luck. You would be very happy with that 8" machine.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
+1 on a Sub Panel. It will open up so many more tools to your shop. You can often find bargains from cabinet shops or stuff going out of business and all of them are at least 220v if not 3ph. But rarely do you get such deep discounts on good 110v equipment. That what I have experienced. Of course "With regular exercise and a regimented diet" and "results may differ from individuals, no guarantee is implied"

+2 on the subpanel! I pulled one off my main panel and added (4) 220v outlets in my shop. I went to 220v machines years ago and I use far less power (220v machines are much more efficient). I also currently run 220v extension cords where necessary as everything other than my DC is mobile. The only problem I have ever had is my planer kicking out a breaker at startup if I plug it into the wrong line, I have 2 @ 20a and 2 @ 30a. A 110v motor simply doesn not have the torque and mass of a 220v TEFC motor or the efficiency.

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
I just noticed a 10% off coupon in my email from Grizzly. It is valid from July 4-10. That brings the total price down for this unit to 685, w/ shipping. Holy cow. Now I'm seriously thinking about one....

I'm not sure if the coupon code is onetime/per customer use or not. I'll share mine if I don't use it.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I went to 220v machines years ago and I use far less power (220v machines are much more efficient).

The above is an oft-repeated myth.

In fact, 220/240V machines are no more or less efficient than their 120V brethren. Each will consume the same number of watts (Watts=Volts x Amps x PowerFactor). A 120V machine will simply draw twice as many amps while running at 1/2 the voltage, thus keeping the equation perfectly balanced (save for a miniscule fraction of a percent in transmission losses/voltage drop within your power cord). In the same way that "240Vx10A=2400W", so does "120Vx20A=2400W", halving one multiplicand (Voltage) while doubling the other (Amps) maintains the equation's balance.

There are good reasons to opt for 220/240V equipment, but efficiency is not one of them.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
Very few blemished jointers left

I just spoke to Grizzly customer service (noon on Tuesday, July 2). The customer service rep told me the blemish is related to the factory not cleaning off the oil from the cast iron parts on the jointer before painting it. The paint is flaking off. He says the best thing for a buyer to do is to strip the paint off, clean off the oil, and repaint. He says as of noon today he has only 3 left, they are going fast particularly with the 10% promotional discount Grizzly is running for 4th of July (emails went out earlier today for those on Grizzly's email list).

Re: Very few blemished jointers left

I just spoke to Grizzly customer service (noon on Tuesday, July 2). The customer service rep told me the blemish is related to the factory not cleaning off the oil from the cast iron parts on the jointer before painting it. The paint is flaking off. He says the best thing for a buyer to do is to strip the paint off, clean off the oil, and repaint. He says as of noon today he has only 3 left, they are going fast particularly with the 10% promotional discount Grizzly is running for 4th of July (emails went out earlier today for those on Grizzly's email list).

I have my 10% off coupon and ready to submit payment but I also called customer service and all I can get out of them is it.could be runs or flaking but not to what extent. I would not want to buy and end up repaintimg the whole thing... for that price although a jointer paimted cherry apple red with flames would be cool and so timthe toolman taylor..... one person said they had dozens and the other person said they had them in three warehouses. ... so I am still torn what to do since I do not know how it will perform after I put a 1.5hp motor in it but I figure it would be the same as the 8" woodtek that would cost $1029.... also both grizzle and byrd has a spiral head for it if a upgrade was needed since the spiral head needs less hp to do the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS