Deacon's Bench Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Finished the Deacon's Bench Prototype today. Turned out OK. I'm gonna show this one to the client, and if he approves, build 2 for him. I learned a LOT on this one. Round to flat joinery is definitely interesting.

Bench_End_View.JPG

End view of arms, seat joinery, and back detail

Bench_Slat_Seat.JPG

Traditional "Old Timey" slat seat. Slats are recessed into a 3/4" rabbet.

Deacon_Bench.JPG

And here's the "finished" product. The wood is (guess what!) cypress from Ivey, except the legs which are Spanish cedar. Oh yeah, one front arm support is poplar. The client plans to paint them so wood mismatch is not a problem.

Thanks for looking!

:wsmile:

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nice work Reggie, especially since you learned a new skill while doing it :gar-Bi In an unrelated question, the pavers it is sitting on, did you lay them yourself ? I did a huge driveway myself at my last house and I am considering it here for a pad in front of the shop :wsmile:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The construction looks solid and the large turned parts look great, who did you find to do such a good job on those?

The only thing I think that looks out of place is the thin dowels. I think they are out of scale with the rest of the work.

I think flat slats might look good in the back maybe just every other one lined up with the seat slats.

The apron dowels look too thin too. Maybe tapered like the legs would fit the design better.

All the flat work and the turned parts look great, just make the dowels bigger or make those parts from flat stock.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
The construction looks solid and the large turned parts look great, who did you find to do such a good job on those?

The only thing I think that looks out of place is the thin dowels. I think they are out of scale with the rest of the work.

I think flat slats might look good in the back maybe just every other one lined up with the seat slats.

The apron dowels look too thin too. Maybe tapered like the legs would fit the design better.

All the flat work and the turned parts look great, just make the dowels bigger or make those parts from flat stock.

Mike: I "feel your pain" and appreciate the comments, and agree with most of them. HOWEVER, I failed to mention we are DUPLICATING an existing bench the client owns.

As for the turnings, I ain't admitting nothing!!
:rotflm:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Very nice work Reggie, especially since you learned a new skill while doing it :gar-Bi In an unrelated question, the pavers it is sitting on, did you lay them yourself ? I did a huge driveway myself at my last house and I am considering it here for a pad in front of the shop :wsmile:

Glenn: Thanks for the kind words. As for the "pavers" I must confess that that walk is stamped concrete. An old high school buddy of mine is in the business and did it for us. We decided on stamped vs. stone after seeing an entranceway he did for a housing project. Cars have driven over it for 3+ years and there is NO wear or fading. Check it out, you'll be glad you did.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ahh haa!

You didn't mention you were duplicating his bench.

In that case.. Man what a beautiful work of art!!! Just perfect! :icon_thum

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looks just as nice as I expected Reggie. Your client should love it!!!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Nice Work Reggie!

I had the same thoughts as Mike, but when duplicating for a customer you've gotta keep'em happy ;-)

The fit and finish looks great!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, Reggie!!!:wsmile::wsmile:

I really like the design and you seem to have executed the plan perfectly. (I was in a stew earlier this year tryin' to come up with a plan for something like this foe a lady in Southport, NC.) You definitely nailed it!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Very well done!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Wayne

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Very nice Reggie! Great job on the prototype, can't wait to see the next two! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS