DC Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I finally bit the bullet and started building an actual dust collection system. I got a Shop Fox 2 HP single stage and ordered a Wynn filter cartridge for it that is supposed to filter ~99.9% of the dust. (BTW, Dick Wynn is an absolute pleasure to deal with if you haven't)

I've got the DC located only a few feet from where the planer, jointer and table saw are located so I only needed to run a small amount of grounded flex ducting. My question is regarding the dust collection separator I'm getting ready to install.

2_stage_lids_200_07.jpg

After doing some research, I'm leaning towards sending the lid back and making my own Thien baffle separator. Has anyone done this that compare the performance of the two systems? If the separator top I have works good I'll just keep it I guess.

Also, I'm thinking about buying a Shop Fox air filtration system as well

shop_fox_airCleaner_200.jpg

Anybody have any advice as to whether or not this is a good investment in addition to the rest of my setup? Thanks!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I can't comment on the separator as I have no experience with either, but as for the air filtration, I would suggest it is an excellent investment.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Thanks Travis. I'm leaning towards the Grizzly 3 speed. I'll say this, since my shop is in the basement, DC purchases have made my lady soooo happy! Normally she gives me crap for how expensive my 'toys' are but keeping the dust out of our house makes her very happy...cost be ****ed!

RayH

New User
Ray
I can't speak to the effectiveness of the can-top system (I was talked out of buying one by the store salesman), but the home-brew Thein baffle-separator I built works like a charm. Simple to build and catches about 90% of the chips AND DUST! I've had to empty it several times, and my Delta 1 1/2 HP DC still has only about 2 inches of fines in the bag. That's from jointer, plane, table saw, and both drum and belt sanders.

Good luck,
Ray

RayH

New User
Ray
Rubbermaid plastic can. The snap-on top gives a good seal. I added a plywood piece over the top for support. The only problem I have is when I use a 2 1/2 inch hose on something like the belt sander. I have to open a second blast gate a bit to keep the can from trying to collapse from the suction.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rubbermaid plastic can. The snap-on top gives a good seal. I added a plywood piece over the top for support. The only problem I have is when I use a 2 1/2 inch hose on something like the belt sander. I have to open a second blast gate a bit to keep the can from trying to collapse from the suction.
If you're planning on making this your primary DC can, why not install a plywood ring or two around the outside for support? Even a few staves would help.

RayH

New User
Ray
If you're planning on making this your primary DC can, why not install a plywood ring or two around the outside for support? Even a few staves would help.

I had not considered that. Thanks for the idea. It's a minor problem, but a few staves should make it go away.

Thanks,
Ray

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I got pretty close to that the other day with my Craftsman shop vac. 2" hose from the shop vac to the Thien seperator on a 30 gallon metal trash can. 1-1/4" output hose to a ROS. Turned on the shop vac and a 1/2 second later I could hear and see the trash can getting thinner. Turned of the shop vac real quick.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Did you install into the DC or on a trash can? Thanks...
Because your DC is still under warranty, you probably should do a trash can one. Look at Phil Thein's site and this and other forums for ideas. I did mine as a "top hat" as I didn't want to lose can capacity. No sense in having a 30 gallon can when you can only put 15 gallons in it, IMHO.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
The Thein separator I made works nicely, and I had considered the plastic separators offered by Rockler, HF, Woodcraft, Eagle America, et al.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Does anybody have a link with detailed plans for the Thien separator? I see it talked about on a lot of boards but no actual plans...Thanks!

Rob

New User
Rob
http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

I built one, though I didn't use his store bought mounts, I just used PVC connectors and caulked around the edges, works great. One suggestion, put a sight glass in the trash. I drilled a 2" hole in the side, the top of the hole at the height of the baffle, and caulked some hard plastic from something I purchased with that hard to remove plastic wrap. Works great. Now I can glance over to see how full it is. I over filled it planing once and filled both the trash can and the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors