Dawn Redwood Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Redwood from Kyle.
Bench11.JPG

Easy project and fun to build but scooping out the seats and legs sure made a bunch of sawdust!!!

pete

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pete, I really like the bench. What kind of a finish did you use?

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Cool bench, Pete! I'd like to know how you "scooped" out the seats as well:icon_scra

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
The finish is just a couple of coats of Teak Oil. The redwood weathers nicely.

For "Scooping" I made a template of MDF and drew the arc on the edges. Then I drew some straight lines across the bench for reference. Most of the wood was routed out by setting the bit depth per the side marking and running straight across using the guide lines for reference. Then just keep adjusting the bit depth and keep going. I used a hand plane cross grain to take off some of the big ridges. Then went to the belt sander, ROS, and hand sanding with a flexible (1/8 inch plywood) backer. I was really wishing I had one of those curved bottom planes. Would have been much more pleasant working with that. (It doesn't show well in the photo but the the legs are also dished out and tapered)

pete

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I like it. Nice photo, too. Make me want to sit right down and take in the lovely pond.

Pretty work! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That is a great looking bench Pete. :eusa_clap The redwood looks amazing and the tapering is cool too. Thanks for explaining how you did that.

cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That is one great looking bench! Very nice detail on the mortise and tenon, what is the contrasting wood?

Steve W

New User
Steve
That's real nice, Pete. I'm already envious of your beautiful backyard and this makes it even more so.:icon_thum

:kermit: Steve

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
That is one great looking bench! Very nice detail on the mortise and tenon, what is the contrasting wood?

I cut the Wedge from a small chunk of unknown burl that's been just hanging around collecting dust for years! :eusa_danc

Bench4.jpg

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS