DAS Booth, The Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
As you know I finished the booth some time ago. Everyone seems to be pretty impressed with it. That just means that they don't see all of the mistakes I made along the way, or they are just being kind. In either case I'm pretty happy with the way it was received by the family over the holiday.

My sister-in-law spent a great deal of time looking for a table that would fit the custom space that the booth was made to fit. Unfortunately for her there is no such thing. So, they decided to go with a granite table top. It is currently sitting on a pathetically undersized base that was designed to hold a 1/4"x48" round glass table top.

The piece of granite is 48"x53". If I were to guess I'd say the granite weighs a couple hundred pounds. Sitting on it's current base, it sways and wobbles and just plain scares the crap out of anyone that walks by it.

So, guess who gets to build a more suitable base for it... :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

They came up with the design concept and I turned it out in Sketchup just so they could see what it will look like.

Table_Base.jpg

The center pedestal portion will be painted black and all of the other wood that you can see will be maple finished to match the booth. The center section will be 18" square, and the diagonal pieces coming away from the pedestal will add an additional 6" of support at the top.

So here are my questions:

Do I need to add additional support off the top of the box in sort of a tic-tack-toe shape? I would not want this to be visible so it's dimensions would have to be pretty slim. As it's drawn there will be about 12-15" of overhang on each side.

How can I attach the granite to the base? At some point or another the table will need to be moved for floor cleaning purposes. You just know that the mover will grab ahold of the granite. I was thinking about a block sized to fit the opening in the top of the pedestal, I just don't know how to secure it to the granite. Will construction adhesive (power grab) stick to the granite well enough?

Is there anything else I should consider when building the base?

Thanks for your help.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking design. It's going to be pretty heavy though, not sure how realistic moving it will be for cleaning. The top + base probably approach a small table saw in weight. It would be nice if you could remove the top in case the table ever had to come out.

My granite countertops are fastened to the cabinets via clear silicone caulk. Of course, those slabs are much heavier and nobody would try to lift it. I attached the metal clips for the dishwasher to the underside of the granite with two part epoxy that's specifically formulated for stone/ metal. Those suckers will never come off.

So, I'm thinking clear silicone caulk for "grabbing" power, and then maybe epoxy some metal brackets to the top which you then fasten to the base with screws. That will add some mechanical strength. You would have to look under the table to see them, and if you painted them black they'd barely be noticeable.

Just random thoughts, no real practical experience.

What kind of granite is it? I bet this will look gorgeous when it's done.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I suspected the weight of the top would basically keep it in place.

I guess my thought on putting a block in the center was to make sure that it could not slide around at all. I don't intend on "securing" the top to the base. But if I stick a block, say 6" long, on the bottom of the table and have that slide down inside the pedestal, I will feel more comfortable that it cannot come off.

I don't imagine that the tabl will get moved around, much but I want to make sure that if some one like me decides to move it, that the top won't just slide off. Ultimately, the top could be lifted to remove it, and then take the base away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS