Das Booth... The END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
For the first 2 posts please see...

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/das-booth-ongoing-saga-17889/

Well, it’s been a while since I last posted any progress on Das Booth, so here we go…

To quote Jim Morrison… “This is the End.”

The next part that I decided to tackle was getting the bottom curved pieces in to try and mimic the inspiration. Not terribly difficult, but I was glad that I was doing the work at my brothers house. He was at home when I was trying to figure out the curve that would look “right”. I had him come out to the shop after I had drawn and erased several ideas. We settled on a pleasing curve that we thought following the picture supplied by Lisa.

A quick bit of work on the band saw and I thought I was on my way. The key word there is THOUGHT. The original piece was cut from MDF as a template so I could run all of the pieces through and have them all the same. At least that was the theory. This was one of those instances where I found the unfortunate limitations of my tools. The bottom of the curve at its most narrow point is only about half an inch. When I ran the first piece it was going perfect until I reached that area, and then started wobbling and really messed up the piece. I quickly came to realize that the table on my router table was not flat. I guess this was the first time that I had tried to run something so narrow across it. I found that the table has about a quarter inch in bow in the middle of it. So I scratched the whole router table idea and ran each piece on the spindle sander. Granted, they aren’t all exactly the same like I wanted them to be but it worked.

Booth21.jpg

After the center curves were installed I had to do the end pieces. There were a bit more challenging. The basic shape of the curve was the same but the edges are exposed and had to be cut in around everything else on the ends of the benches along with a rabbet for the plywood end cap. Lots of trips back and forth to the shop and they went in with all of there corresponding trim pieces.

Booth22.jpg

and

Booth23.jpg

The last “major” pieces were the vertical, angled pieces to close in the ends of the benches. Nothing terribly difficult here. Set them in place, mark the angles cut and install.

Booth24.jpg

and

Booth25.jpg

Time to start wrapping the bottom… After discussing it with Pat, we decided to change the original thought process and make sure that a broom and mop would make for easy clean up of the floor, and not have crud gathering up in the corners. Remember how my router table wouldn’t work, so all of the center curve pieces were a little different? Well, here’s where that comes back into play. Each of the pieces between the curves like…

Booth27.jpg

had to be shaped to fit. Not only that but they had to be shaped to fit on both ends. Something I didn’t take into account when I was milling material was the difference in thickness of the long pieces to the thickness of the pieces that go in the short 45-degree sections, as in the picture above. That angle reduced the thickness of the pieces by something like half. Not a big deal but it was surprising (and shouldn’t have been).

A little bit of three-quarter quarter round around the base dresses things out nicely.

Booth41.jpg

and

Booth42.jpg

I guess I was wrong above. The last “major” pieces were the parts for the top shelf. I used the same piece of hardi-board that I used to make a template for the seating corners to make the template for the top shelf corners. It worked out pretty well. I just had to cut it down a little smaller. And since this is most definitely a one-off piece I won’t need those templates again. As a side note, when I made the joint connections for the seating areas I used biscuits to keep everything aligned. It worked pretty well, but I need practice. For the top shelf I decided to use pocket screws.

My thought process was that being able to screw the pieces together would help draw the joints together a little tighter than the seating area pieces were. It worked OK, but this is another area where I need some practice. One of the screws came through the surface. Not bad, and I was able to hide it, but it certainly let me know that I didn’t know what I was doing.

Booth43.jpg

and

Booth44.jpg

Last but not least a little trim around the top perimeters. I decided to go with a simple half-inch cove mold for both pieces. I needed something around the very top exposed edge to help close a gap on the right side of the booth. The wall on that side would make a football stadium crowd proud with the wave that it’s doing. That wall waves back and forth about an inch, 3 times in 6 feet. Fortunately the cove mold hides it nicely. The same molding was used on the bottom side of the top shelf just to even things up visually.

Booth45.jpg

and

Booth46.jpg

I wasn’t counting on putting molding on the underside of the top shelf, so I had to pull all of the really super cool double cove molding from the vertical joints around the back rest in order to install it. As luck would have it, I broke two of the pieces. It was really fun trying to reproduce my steps exactly to make those bits of trim again. Remember, it was a screw up to begin with. It took me a while but I managed to “screw it up again” and I eventually got it right.

Matt

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Time to stain, well almost… I really wish I could have sprayed this thing, but that was impossible given that it was built in place. I put blue painters tape around the perimeter of everything to protect the surrounding areas, and gave a final sanding.

Booth47.jpg

After sanding, I wiped the whole thing down with mineral spirits. Thanks to DaveO for filling me in on the necessary <<<LINK dry time before applying stain >>>. I wound up letting it sit for about 2 hours just to be sure (lots of stuff to do in the shop while waiting). For stain we were trying to match another piece of furniture that Pat and Lisa had installed.

>>> SPECIAL THANKS TO KLINGSPOR’S >>>

Thanks to the guy at Klingspor I was able to come up with something that was very close in the end. We decided to go with General Finishes Gel Stain in Prairie Wheat. The gentleman at Klingspor was really cool. I asked for some help in choosing a stain to match (I had a piece of the trim being used for the other piece of furniture). I wish I could remember his name… Anyway, he walked back to the stains with me, telling me he had a really crappy eye for matching stains. Not a real confidence builder. But, when we got back there I held the sample piece up to the color boards. He just started grabbing cans of everything that was even close and slapping it on the back side of my sample piece. After several cans we came up with “the match”.

I was relatively confident that I could build that actual piece of furniture that Pat and Lisa wanted (AND I DID IT!!!!!). I was confident all the way up to the finishing process. Applying the gel stain was a breeze. It was stupid easy.

Going into the finish I was worried about lap marks from getting too far ahead of myself. Even when I did get too far ahead of myself I was able to blend things together nicely. There are some areas where some rather harsh lines are visible, but that is not the fault of the stain. I just didn’t do a good enough job sanding. Actually, while I ultimately have to take full blame, I thought I would see the glue schmutz when I wipe down with MS. I didn’t see anything, so I thought I was good to go. Something to ponder for future projects.

Booth48.jpg

and

Booth49.jpg

I left the bottom unstained for the above picture just to show the massive color difference. Thanks to my niece, Kate, for acting as photographer for a moment of posterity.

I let several days pass to let the stain cure fully before applying the poly. I put the first coat on WAY TOO HEAVY and as many of you know I Made a mess with brush strokes when I applied the first coat of poly. Turns out, it wasn’t as big a mess as I thought. The brush marks mellowed out a lot. I had my brother take some pictures.

Booth50.jpg

He called me the next morning and said that most of the brush marks had disappeared. I was relieved as I hadn’t slept much that night. I still had some sanding to do to get rid of the worst offenders, but overall it looked pretty good. After sanding the whole thing with 320 grit, I wiped it down. This time I used just a water dampened rag. Again I gave it several hours to dry, and then applied another coat of poly. Much lighter application this time, and it came out fantastic.

Booth51.jpg

From a concept picture to a finished product, this has been about a four month project. The actual build time was only about a month but I agonized over it for a long, ok a really long time, before I actually made the first cut.

My sister-in-law, Lisa, asked me one day while I was working on it if I “…actually enjoy doing this stuff”. I tried in vain to explain why I really love “doing this stuff.”

To go from this…

Booth.jpg

To THIS

Booth51.jpg

IS WHY I LOVE DOING THIS STUFF!

I’d like to take a moment to thank all of you that helped me along the way and again, I’d like to thank the guy at Klingspor’s for the help with the stain.

Hopefully you enjoyed this journey as much as I did. I look forward to the next one.

Matt

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Matt, that turned out awesome, and in the end that is all that really matters. The rest of the stuff is a learning experience. Now all you need to do is take up sewing so you can make a nice multi-angled butt pad for that bench. Great job, and thanks for the detailed posting that we can all learn from.

Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Great job, Matt. Those big projects really are satisfying when you finally get them done. :icon_thum:icon_thum

As for the brush marks, when i brush on poly on a vertical surface, i consider it a success if I don't get runs in it!! Thats why I now use the wipe-on method whenever possible. For horizontal surfaces, the Behlen's Rockhard varnish flows out much superior to poly in my limited experience with it.

Go

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Matt, I am very impressed. Not just because of the woodworking and finishing, but to go from a picture to something that's a custom fit - awesome! Finishing is always a challenge. You can hide mistakes in joinery, grain, etc., but finishes...well, they're meant to be seen!

As for enjoying it - you guys ENJOY woodworking? What do you think this, a hobby?!?!?!! :)

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Bro, that came out real nice and you have every reason to be proud of the awesome piece of furniture you added to your brother and SIL's home. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:notworthy::notworthy:

Their family will use and enjoy it everyday and no doubt build some memories or their own there that won't be forgotten.

Brian.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
:thumbs_up:thumbs_up Looks very good to me, you did a great job with the details.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Thanks for all of the nice comments everyone. As I hope I got across in my posts, I had a blast building it. Every step of the way I learned something. There are some areas where I would change my approach, and some skills that I definitely need to work on. But overall I rate it a success. I'm glad you do to. It's nice to get just a little validation from those in the know.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS