Dancing clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
For my nephews, for Christmas. They're right at that age where they're learning to tell time, so maybe this will help. This was a project from Wood Magazine, except I made it from cherry (which I got from Jack - saw4you) instead of pine.

dancing_clocks_still.jpg

View image in gallery

The back is cherry plywood (held in place via some very small screws).

BTW, the coffee cup is there to give you an idea of the overall size. Although I did approach Mad Cow Diseases at some point trying to get this thing sanded. I hate sanding....

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW Bas, they really turned out beautiful!:icon_cheers

I looked long and hard at that idea for grand daughter, but decided that she was a little too young yet (1 YO). I'll keep that issue of Wood handy though.

Doing them in cherry was a stellar idea!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum I am sure they will be treasured for a very long time. (Make sure you sign them ............Uncle Bas.:wsmile:)

I have been anxiously awaiting the pics since you mentioned the round over/sanding issues you had. You obviously overcame that issue, with grace!

Well Done!

Wayne

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Great job on those clocks Bas :eusa_clap Gotta love that cherry, it was a good choice and my favorite wood to work with. How much time do you have in them. As soon as i saw them in Wood I knew it would be a good project for my gandson.

Bas,

Those are great! They will love them. What issue of Wood?

bobby g

It was the July 20010 issue

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great clocks Bas. I've got a couple of grand-kids I could make those for in a few years. Same question Bob asked: which issue of Wood?

Bill

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Those look great Bas, I hope to build a few when I get time and I hope they turn out as good as yours. I like them in Cherry.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas,
Those are great! They will love them. What issue of Wood?
As mentioned, issue 198 (July 2010). But you can also get the plans from Meisel.

Look great Bas; where did you get the clock faces?
The hardware kit (item #3189) costs $17 plus shipping. They actually sent me a spare clock face, so if you buy your own clock movement and hands, you're welcome to it. It's nothing fancy, thin cardboard, with some plastic coating on the face side.

I have been anxiously awaiting the pics since you mentioned the round over/sanding issues you had. You obviously overcame that issue, with grace!
I basically turned a mistake into a feature. Blended the roundover a little, and used Waxilit to prevent any glue issues.

Great job on those clocks Bas :eusa_clap Gotta love that cherry, it was a good choice and my favorite wood to work with. How much time do you have in them. As soon as i saw them in Wood I knew it would be a good project for my gandson.
There's a lot of hours in these clocks, but primarily because I made some errors in my approach. My brilliant idea was to first make a template out of MDF (easy to shape), since I was doing more than one clock. Well, making the template was easy, but there's a lot of end grain in this project that is difficult to route. Unless you have very predictable grain in your lumber (ha!) and VERY sharp spiral flush trim bits, you're better off going the sanding route. So I wasted quite a bit of time on the templates. Also, be very careful about the order in which you do your glueup, or you're sanding the same areas multiple times. Taming glue squeezeout was also a pain, I learned a LOT from this project. 10 minutes of extra prep saves hours of sanding and scraping.

In retrospect, rather than laminating three layers of cherry (per the pans), it might have been better to use two layers (8/4 and 4/4 stock). Things also look better if you use wide boards (12"), I glued up panels and there are faint glue lines in various places.

So no, I won't answer how many hours I have in these :) You will definitely need an oscillating spindle sander for the project, so if you've been contemplating getting one, this is the project to justify it.

Glennbear

Glenn
Nicely done Bas, :icon_thum thanks for sharing the pitfalls also. I do not have anyone in the right age group for such a clock but when I saw them in the magazine I put the issue aside for when I do since the clocks are so cool. :wsmile:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Lucky guys to get those. I remember these from the magazine.
I like your cherry much better than the pine they used.
I copied the plans and have one on my "make for next Christmas list".
My niece's son should be old enough for one by then. I TRY to plan ahead with stuff like this.
I appreciate the tips and 'dang its' a lot!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Those look great kinda remind me of Beauty and the Beast.

What would you think of making one of them in the mirror image so they would be dancing toward each other and the boys could tell them apart?

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
Those are some darn nice clocks Bas! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
I've encountered the glue squeeze out issue whenever I have a fretwork piece that needs to be glued to a backer board. Probably this is something all of you already do and I am being redundant, but I'll share it anyway. I take a sheet of scrap paper, usually newspaper, squeeze out the glue and spread it over an area larger than the piece I am gluing. I use a piece of scrap wood with a straight edge on it to spread the glue evenly into a thin layer, then lay the gluing surface of the piece onto it and then onto the backer. Then when I apply the clamps, there isn't any noticeable squeeze out, which, if there were, would be nearly impossible to clean up on fretwork. There may be better ways, but that's how I've been doing it.:saw:

manfre

New User
Manfre
You will definitely need an oscillating spindle sander for the project, so if you've been contemplating getting one, this is the project to justify it.

The clocks look nice and I like the justification for a new tool. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS