Cyclone installed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
A while back, I bought a new cyclone dust collector. Due to circumstances beyond my control (stupidity), I bought a machine that was too tall to fit in the shop! Oops.

So I cut a hole in the ceiling. As always, things are never easy. The joists were positioned in such a way that there was only one spot where I could make the opening, or it would have been too close to the wall (the DC has a large footprint). And lengthwise, I only had a couple of feet between the HVAC duct and electrical.

closet_ceiling.jpg

View image in gallery

The opening is framed and sheetrocked. I actually added an extra layer of 5/8" sheetrock (and Green Glue) to all the walls and ceiling to do a little soundproofing. My shop is in the basement, and keeping the noise down is not a bad idea.

I installed several air return paths. The corresponding opening on the other side of the wall is at the top, so the sound will be somewhat reduced on its way out.

Another set of air vents, and the electrical. This outlet is actually for the compressor. Let's put all the noisemakers in one room!

I started by assembling the upper frame and cyclone body. This is about 4' tall. About 36 bolts & nuts, plus 72 washers so far used in the construction.

The motor and impeller section is heavy! Howard was gracious enough to lend me his shop crane. This was extremely handy in putting it on top of the cyclone.

The air intake section was a little tricky to add given the tight space. I put two strips of wood across the cyclone body and used that to hold the piece in place. Then, I swung the impeller housing over the body, and fiddled with it until the bolts took hold.

We're up to 60 bolts by now.

The next part was tricky. The whole assembly had to be lifted up in order to attach the lower legs. I put 4 large hooks (each rated for 300lb) into the floor joists, and picked up some ratcheting straps from Harbor Freight. With a coupon I was out the door for less than $30. These things are FANTASTIC! The strap rolls up as you ratchet, unlike the cheaper versions which only have limited travel.

So I slowly walked the machine up until I could attach the lower legs.

Doug stopped by to help with the tedious fastening process. Here I am making the electrical connection.

And finally, the entire machine is assembled. 2,286 bolts, nuts and washers. Or close to it.

Along the way, I did a couple of stupid things. As you can see in the picture, the legs have a notch in them. The natural thing to do is to align the notches of the upper and lower legs and put the horizontal braces in them. That stand gets the machine to 103" high, and you're limited to a 35 gallon drum. I believe this configuration is used for the W1808 model. If you ignore the notches and raise it to its full height, you get to 109" and the 55 gallon drum fits. Discovering all this meant I had to unfasten 40 bolts/ washers/ nuts and then refasten them. Boy am I happy I was able to advance the public's knowledge in this area!

I fired the machine up using a temporary set of connectors to hook up a piece of 4" hose. Some impressive suction!

The good
This is an extremely well built machine. Everything is heavy-duty, this thing will outlast me. Best of all, the kit came with everything: Stand, drum, bag holder, remote and muffler. Many systems require that you buy these as extras. Easily the best value for money. And although I haven't done a lot of testing, I can tell this machine has some SERIOUS suction power.

The bad
This machine is BIG. I seriously underestimated how big and heavy it was. The 109" height has got to be a problem for most shops. The manual isn't terribly clear either, a couple of extra pictures would have helped. Also, for some odd reason, one of the latches at the bottom of the filter catcher was misaligned by 3/4". This was an easy fix, I just drilled two small new holes to fit the bolts through.

The ugly
The manual says the footprint is 62" x 39". It is actually 6" longer. The 62" is from the outside leg to the brackets that hold the filter, but the filter sticks out another 6". The design is really inefficient, if they had rotated it 90 degrees it would have fit much better. I am going to drill an extra hole in each bracket and move the filter ~8" closer to the body. Then all I need is a slightly longer piece of hose to connect the outlet to the filter/ muffler. With a bit of luck, this means I can close the door without having to change it to an outward swinging door!

Conclusion
So, if I had to do it all over again, would I buy it? I'm afraid the answer is "no". Would I buy it if it was 93" tall instead of 109", or if I had 10' ceilings? In a heartbeat! But ask me in a year or so when the aggravation and hassle has faded from memory.

My main concern now is heat. The opening for the motor is quite small, and heat can really build up in such a confined space. The good news is that the motor is joined to the impeller housing, which is a big chunk of metal. It should serve as a heat sink. Plus, I can always run the house fan to keep the air circulating in the closet. Worst case, I can lower the machine back to the smaller configuration and use the 35 gallon drum (in case you're confused, the collection drum comes in two pieces, to convert it from 55 to 35 you just take off the top ring)

So now I have to redo the filter. Reattach the door. Move the remote relay/ receiver to the outside of the shop (it's infrared, not radio controlled). Run 80' of duct work. Finish mudding the vents on the outside of the closet and install the grilles. Remove the thick layer of drywall dust that is everywhere.
Gotta love this "woodworking" hobby. :gar-La;

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Glad you got it shoehorned in bro and thanks for the play by play on the install.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

You did use an air ratchet on all those bolts/nuts.......right?!!? :gar-La;

Brian.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great job, Bas. :eusa_danc Hope you don't plan on ever moving out of that house. That "big white thingy" and the funny hole in the ceiling might be a little hard to explain. :rotflm: But I guess it could be used as a whole house vacuum, w/ a little replumbing.

Bill

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bas, your account reads like a good book; while you detail certain tragic events, overall it appears you are heading for a happy ending...I always enjoy stories with happy endings!

Donn

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Nice job on the install Bas. Are you going with spiral duct?
I'm going with 6" PVC (sewer & drain pipe). I thought about using metal duct work, but I think PVC will ultimately be easier and cheaper. I already have the fittings, now I just need to get the pipe. I wisely decided to hold off on buying that until I made some room in the shop. There's a lot of parts to that cyclone, and if you then throw in a shop crane, dolly and a bunch of bags and boxes, it's easy to fill up the shop!

The hardest part right now is trying to figure out how to make the initial connection to the cyclone. The outer diameter is 8 1/16", just too big for a standard 8x6 HVAC reducer to fit over it. So I may need to crimp the 8" side and push it inside the opening instead. The 6" side should fit nicely inside the PVC pipe without crimping.

DougW

New User
Doug w
Maybe if you used a 8" to 6" reducer in pvc you could turn in a lathe the 8" end to fit the DC. If you plan on making just a few drops to different stations in your shop you can keep the cost down in those pvc fittings. All my drops I did in 6" and they went into distribution boxes and they work great. Each 4" hook up has its own slide gate built into the box with 1/4" plexi glass cover.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well done, Bas!:icon_cheers

Looks like a very professional looking install.

Your shop will be a showplace warranting a magazine spread for sure!:wsmile:

Wayne

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
nicely done Bas!
nothing like a little help to finish a job like that.
Obviously a well thought through install.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Very nice job Bas.

How is the noise level from that monster? Both in the shop and upstairs in your living areas?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bas, nice writeup and good solution! The only thing that I would suggest is to place your hand on top of the motor after you've run the DC for about 20 minutes. If it is too hot to leave your hand up there, you might need to make some airflow modifications. Is the upper end of the motor the intake or exhaust for the motor's internal cooling?

All in all, it looks like a very nice installation.

Doug - nice job on those dust ports! So when are you going to stop by my shop and build some like yours for me?!:gar-La;

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Bas is very detail-oriented. No one has mentioned the fact that he painted his dust collection closet or that he nstalled molding to give it a nice finished look. It was a lot of bolts, nuts and washers! Looking forward to seeing it in action. Also curious as to the noise factor.

BTW his compressor is going in there too.

Doug

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Well done buddy! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap It's kind've funny. As much work as you put into that, I could see myself doing the exact same thing. :rotflm:

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Whew! Made me a little tired just reading about it. :eusa_doh:Way to work through those problems. I'd like to hear about any noise issues as well.

Nice work,
Kettrell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors