Cutting the tops off of plastic drums

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I don't know if there is a right way, but this was my way. I'm very happy with the results.
I clamped my saw to a right angle bracket I made from some 1/2" MDF and 2x4s. Clamped that to a piece of a solid core door on some sawhorses.
Then I laid some sheet goods under the drum to bring it to the desired height. A spring clamp on the saw trigger and rotated the drum INTO the blade. Yes, not the safest way to go about it. BUT, my hands were always atleast a foot from the blade. It actually worked quite well.
I wanted to get a straight cut so that I could make one of the drums mate up against a piece of MDF to make it into a chip collector for my DC. Mission accomplished!
11.jpg

1.jpg

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I didn't see any blood in the photos so you can't argue with success. :eusa_danc

Yup, my wife was on stand-by with the first aid kit. I sure am glad that she took the EMT class with me! I'm sure that my power tool habit had nothing to do with her decision to do that... :roll:
:rolf:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
With everything clamped securely it looks like you got a good cut. I guess LOYL had her hand on the plug "just in case"?? :)

Chuck

M

McRabbet

Chris,

Where did you find plastic barrels? I'd like to get some for DC and other uses.

Rob

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Chris,
I would have been there tomorrow if I knew you were cutting the tops off.
At least I know how to do it now if I need to...
Thanks for the drums today. Sorry we couldn't stay longer but Mark's wife was waiting on the furniture.
Oh...and we had a flat on the way home (side trip into a new 55 and older development where they are clearing right now) but that story will have to wait.

Thanks again,
Ron

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Chris,

Where did you find plastic barrels? I'd like to get some for DC and other uses.

Rob

I got them from a friend that works at the NCSU dairy. I've heard that car washes are another good source. Their soap comes in plastic drums.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mission accomplished and no injuries :eusa_clap

But you coud have used this as an excuse to buy a 36" bandsaw :lol:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors