Cutting Ceramic Tile

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
This is OT for the website, but I hope that someone can give me some insight.

I am going to install 16" X 16" ceramic tile on my new sunporch. I have rented wetsaws in the past, but usually paid as much in rental fees as I would have paid had I bought one. I saw a wetsaw at HF for about $60 plus blade, but it will only accept up to 12" X 12" tile. Since I can forsee only having to cut a very few tiles, I am wondering if the small (4-41/2") dry tile cutting saws would be OK? I know that it would create mucho dust, but I will be cutting outside. Also, are there dry tile cutting blades that will fit my 71/4" circular saw?

Any feedback or advice will be greatly appreciated.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Check Lowe's website and search for

Diamond Saw Blade

They have several which will fit a skil saw.

George

ehpoole

Ethan
Dry-cut diamond blades are readily available for both circular saws and angle grinders -- check out HD or Lowes selection. You can also use abrassive discs for masonry cutting, which are also available for circular saws and, of course, angle grinders.

Just be sure to blow out your saw thoroughly after use, the dust from tiles and stone isn't so great for your saw's moving parts, so don't assign your best saw to the task (or pick up a cheap saw to dedicate to such tasks). Don't forget to wear an N95 dust mask or respirator as well, as the dust is even worse for you (much worse than sawdust).

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you get a masonry blade for your circular saw, make sure you get a "dry" blade, and not a "wet"one. The "dry"blade will have an expansion slot cut into the edge. The "wet" ones, designed for the wet tile saws, do not have the expansion slots. As long as the arbor hole fits, and it is thick enough for the nut to secure it, it does not have to be the full 7 1/4" diameter.

Go

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If the tiles are ceramic, why not use a score and snap cutter. No dust and no mess. For the few you do have to cut, a 4" angle grinder with a diamond blade (about $13) will do the trick. If you have your heart set on a tile saw, check CL.

ehpoole

Ethan
If you get a masonry blade for your circular saw, make sure you get a "dry" blade, and not a "wet"one. The "dry"blade will have an expansion slot cut into the edge. The "wet" ones, designed for the wet tile saws, do not have the expansion slots. As long as the arbor hole fits, and it is thick enough for the nut to secure it, it does not have to be the full 7 1/4" diameter.

Just FYI, I have *dry* diamond blades for both my circular saw and angle grinder and neither has expansion slots. In my observations, the expansion slots are usually found in the more aggressive diamond blades (presumably for better waste removal).

The following is an older Wet/Dry Skilsaw blade, I also have Wet/Dry Bosch blades of the same style for my 4-1/2" angle grinder.

IMG_21332.JPG

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
If the tiles are ceramic, why not use a score and snap cutter. No dust and no mess. For the few you do have to cut, a 4" angle grinder with a diamond blade (about $13) will do the trick. If you have your heart set on a tile saw, check CL.

The "score and snap" cutters work reasonably well, but don't expect to get quite as clean of a cut. For bathroom wall tiles they work great, but on the super-hard floor porcelain tiles I've found I tend to get a ragged\rough finish line where I scored it. Usually your cuts are covered by trim or something, but if you're doing any patterns or such that will result in a visible cut edge you may not be satisfied with the result. A dry blade works OK for a smaller job, but it is VERY loud and dusty. Maked darned sure you have good ear and eye protection, and a dust mask would make the job a lot more pleasant too.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
This is OT for the website, but I hope that someone can give me some insight.

I am going to install 16" X 16" ceramic tile on my new sunporch. I have rented wetsaws in the past, but usually paid as much in rental fees as I would have paid had I bought one. I saw a wetsaw at HF for about $60 plus blade, but it will only accept up to 12" X 12" tile. Since I can forsee only having to cut a very few tiles, I am wondering if the small (4-41/2") dry tile cutting saws would be OK? I know that it would create mucho dust, but I will be cutting outside. Also, are there dry tile cutting blades that will fit my 71/4" circular saw?

Any feedback or advice will be greatly appreciated.

My tile guys have used some of the small table-saw-like wet saws. They are good for making most cuts. In the right hands they can cut as clean as most commercial tile saws. Dry saws make a mess and are hard to control. They produce a lot of dust that you don't want to inhale. Home Depot and Lowes both sell the small wet saws at a reasonable price.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS