Cutting Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boilermaker

New User
Scott
I'm thinking of making a cutting board, but I have some concerns over the finish. Is there one particular finish that would work best for this? My concern is that the finish could somehow bleed into the meat and somehow contaminate it.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Scott,

A couple of months back I made a couple end grain cutting boards and applied "Watco Butcher Block Oil & Finish" to them. It did really well. (My sister have been using one of them pretty extensively (canning season in Canada, ya know:lol:) and she says they are standing up pretty well. She does apply mineral oil about every two weeks or so, as well.

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Scott, the only thing that I can add to the excellent info and advice you've already been given is: If you intend to cut raw meat on the board, only cut raw meat on it. It is best to use to separate boards for meat a veggies. Personally I have a wood board for veggies and a plastic one for meat. I feel more comfortable being able to machine wash with hot water and chlorine anything that touches raw meat (my wife works in a biology lab 8-O)

Dave:)

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
An excellent treatment for cutting boards and butcher blocks is a mixture of mineral oil and either paraffin or beeswax. This is what is used on many commercial wood surfaces. It will last longer and be more protective than just mineral oil. Mineral oil can be found in most supermarkets in the pharmacy section or in a true pharmacy. Paraffin is found in the canning section of the store or in a hardware store.

Heat the oil in a double boiler and shave in some wax. The exact proportions are not critical--a 5-6 parts of oil to one part of wax will work fine. Stir the mixture until all the wax is liquified. Apply the mixture heavily and let it set 10-12 hours or overnight. Next day do it again and continue until the wood will no long absorb the finish. Let it set for 10-12 hours and then lightly scrape off any excess. Then buff it with a rag.

Reapply whenever the wood begins to look dry.

Never put a wood board in the dishwasher and don't soak it in dishwater for long periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS