Cutting board with bent laminations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Hi everyone,

I thought that I would post a photo of a rare specimen - a project that I have actually completed!

Truth be told, it isn't even completed as I am going to add a juice groove to the back and repair a router mishap back there. But hey, if I waited until it was totally finished, the internet might be charging access fees by then!

It is hard maple, with cherry and walnut bent laminations inserted. This used the method from FWW #233.

cutbd1.JPG

cutbd3.JPG

cutbd2.JPG

Sorry for the basically duplicate pic.

Jeff

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work, Jeff! :eusa_danc

It will be treasured and used frequently.

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Excellent design for an item that usually ends up being a simple rectangle!

You have created an elegant piece with both the overall shape of the board and the inlays.

Well done.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gorgeous Jeff, GREAT job!
Those are salable (after every woman in you life has one... or two!)

What did you use for glue?
What did you use for "Finish?"

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Thanks for the compliments.

I used Titebond III for its water resistance and food safe attributes. The finish is mineral oil. It actually looks better than I expected as a finish.

If I was to sell these I would go broke - though the third lamination did go much faster than the first one. I am interested in making a few more so that I can try a few different patterns. This one uses only one template to create the different curves (by varying the angles, position, and flipping the orientation); I might try a second template to really mix things up.

This is a gift, so my wife definitely gets the next one.

Last edited:

MagGeorge

New User
George
Great work on that beautiful cutting board. Like the wood colors and finish, the bent laminations are great accents

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I was wondering how you got things to fit so nicely off the bandsaw...but using a template to clean it up makes perfect sense. How much fine-tuning is needed? Nice job!

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
I saw the Fine Woodworking article and admired the boards but decided I'n not yet ready to attempt them. You did a terrific job.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I was wondering how you got things to fit so nicely off the bandsaw...but using a template to clean it up makes perfect sense. How much fine-tuning is needed? Nice job!

Chris, the neat thing about this method is that there is no tuning needed, fine or otherwise! You run a bushing guided router bit against the template. This removes material the width of the bit to a depth of about 1/4 inch. You then bandsaw through this depression (creating 2 pieces) and guide a bearing guided bit against the original routed egde on each piece. This cleans up each edge. Then you fill the void with the bent laminations of the exact width of what you removed - the width of the router bit!

Gaps could come from tilting the router, not having laminations of the exact thickness, not having enough clamp pressure, and not realigning the two pieces in their original orientation. I was really pleased about the tightness of the laminations. Of course, I cut off the 1/4" at the edge where there was a slight gap on one end.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS