Custom Closets

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi everyone, I really haven't been doing alot of scrolling lately except for a class that I've been teaching for some of the Seniors here in Midlothian at a place called -LLI( Lifetime Learning Institute).It's a place where seniors can go to learn all sorts of things like pottery, painting, history and I've been doing a class on intarsia. Been lots of fun and the participants have really had a good time watching me put together a Rose Jewelry Box.

What has really been keeping me busy is a large commission for a customer which entails building custom cabinets and shelving for their walk-in closets. Now, I don't normally take on such a large project but I've done smaller projects for this customer in the past and when he said that he wanted the woodworking to- look like art, well I just couldn't say no. So I took some measurements and drew a few sketches and they agreed on a price so here I go.

This project will use 550 bd ft of Jatoba that I got from Wall lumber.
Jatobalumber001.jpg

Each closet will consist of a sweater cabinet,a shoe rack and shelving with rods for clothes to hang on. They selected the oil rubbed bronze rods($5 a foot) and all shelving will have decorative inlays to set it off. With this much lumber I definitely had to go into production mode .There will be lots of edge gluing of boards for the side panels and shelves so I started by setting up the router table with extentions to handle the long boards for biscuit jointing using a slot cutting bit.
Commission001.jpg

These are the first 7' x 16" glued up panels for the sweater cabinet.
Commission.jpg

Here is the first completed wall of the first closet.
closet003.jpg

I didn't even make it out the door after the install and she already had her sweaters in the cabinet!!!
closet004.jpg

Now on to the shoe cabinet.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
That will be one good looking closet!!! :icon_thum

Great job - The doors look great! :eusa_clap

pete

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Beautiful work Mike, especially the doors. I can't blame the customer for putting sweaters in right away!

What did you use for a finish?

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Thanks guys

I applied 3 coats of wipe-on satin polyurethane for the finish.
Here is a pic of the shoe cabinet with 2 coats of poly. Will install it next week.
closet010.jpg

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
wow, looks great.

Kinda curious with what kind of edging you are doing with the shelves and horizontal trim.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Steve
I'm routing an 1/8" deep x 1/4" wide groove and using holly and ebony inlays sanded flush with the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors