Curly Red Wood HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Turned from Curly Red Wood. This bowl has around 8 coats of spray deft lacquer satin right now. I will post some more pictures after it has had time to set and be buffed to a shine. The curl in this wood is unreal and it didn't move any as it dried. I did learn that redwood should not be turned extremely thin. I have a tiny crack on one side of the opening that happened when sanding just on the inside lip of the bowl. If it had been left around 3/16" it wouldn't have happened. I'm thinking of turning a collar to help reinforce the opening. The bowl is right at 11" in dia by 5" high.
Thanks,
Jack Mincey
IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Jack,
Great HF ,beautiful piece of redwood and I love the orientation of the curl and grain in the overall shape. I've got a piece like that and I'm mulling over what to do with a 7 by 7 by 3 blank.If I understand you correctly ,you should probably stop at or near 1/4" wall thickness. I'll post when I get to turning mine.
Greg

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I like the form - AND the grain - a lot. A very nice piece.

Do you have a favorite (set of) hollowing tools? Shop made hook tools or commercial tools?

I have not tried a HF, but want to, and have no specific hollowing tools.

Henry

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks everyone, Nature did most of the work for me on this form. Henry, I do all my hollowing free hand and use straight boring bars that I've made. I have tried a couple of times to make swan neck tools with little success. I use the #1 and #2 3/4" John Jordan swan neck tools with his arm brace handle for getting under the lip. One big warning when hollowing free hand, STOP and blow out the shavings after ever other pass or they can bind the swan neck and spin it. Not something I would recommend. I think this wood is to soft to make turkey calls out of, but they would be pretty even if they didn't sound worth a darn.
Thanks again,
Jack

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
I like what you have done with that hunk of wood. You did a good job exposing the grain in the wood. Beautiful bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS