Dan
Corporate Member
Rifle_Wood_015.jpg

View image in gallery

slab_option2.jpg

View image in gallery

butt_slab.jpg

View image in gallery

Here's some curly red maple to look at. I have the tapered and flared barrel in the channel so I'm going to start shaping the stock in a week or two. I am working on a desk and bookcase these days and that is keeping me busy in my spare time. I love building rifles and chairs to get away from the case work and box stuff. I have some photos in the gallery if you care to see what I am doing with the walnut/crotch walnut and the desk. Lots of work in progress photos.

I keep a camera next to the bench and its really quite easy to take photos on the coffee breaks. Hope you like viewing work in progress stuff. I know most everyone likes to post finished stuff but I learned more from seeing "how they did it stuff" as I was trying to build up my skills. Maybe it will help someone out there.

Busy in Durham
dan o's

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
That's some beautiful grain there,the desk is gonna have a bunch of great looking figure also.Thanks for posting.Tony

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I'll be paying all kinds of attention to this project!!!!

NOTHING out-cools a Longrifle.

Since I'm nosy as heck, I gotta ask where you found that blank and, did you inlet the swamped barrel completely or was it roughed in when you bought it?

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Since I'm nosy as heck, I gotta ask where you found that blank and, did you inlet the swamped barrel completely or was it roughed in when you bought it?

I get my curly in the New England area. I know a bunch of sugar boilers from the old days and they send word when one of the big boys has aged out. There are a few woodmizer guys in the area that do custom cuts that I use. I don't use kiln dried stock for my rifles. I usually let the 10/4 or 12/4 stock dry for about 4-5 years before getting started. It sounds long but I keep a small cycle going. Sometimes the well runs dry.

I am using Rice barrels(NC makers) these days. I have used Getz and Colerain in the past with good results but lately I am just very impressed with the Rice guys up in Asheville. I met them at one of the annual Dixon Gunmakers Fairs and they really impressed me with their attention to detail and their willingness to work with you over the phone. They are not cheap but quality is worth the additional cost with longrifle barrels.

I inlet the barrels with a router set up and chisels. Swamped barrels take time and patience. Just no quick way without high tech CNC stuff. I only make a couple rifles a year these days so I can take a little time. I'm an experienced wood worker, a pretty good carver but I am a novice on the wire inlay stuff. Growing up, I did a bunch of mechanical work so rifles are a nice marriage of wood and metal. Its a field of woodworking that never ends its challenges. The nice part about this is you get to take a break from the 90 degree world and work " by the seat of your pants" type stuff. I like that. I wander over to chairmaking and rifle work when I get tired of casework projects.

By the way, I have never heard a shooter say: "I don't like the balance of a swamped barrel .. I wish it was a straight barrel" in my time. Swamped barrels just feel great and you're always glad you put the extra time in the early phase.

dan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS