Cross on a hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

rherrell

New User
Rick Herrell
Some of you might have seen my two cross pens last week. This is the latest version. You might remember that Chris(wsd1089) suggested it might look good to put the cross on a hill. I agreed, so yesterday I started working on it and this is what I came up with. Chris,Thank you for the idea and if you PM me with your address this pen is yours.
I don't turn pens to make money(not to say that I won't!) and it gives me great pleasure to be able to give it to you. Before I send it though I'll show it to my buddy and see if he likes it. If so I have to make 10 more by Xmas!

Attachments

• IMG_4698_edited-2.jpg
    IMG_4698_edited-2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4704_edited-2.jpg
    IMG_4704_edited-2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_4705_edited-2.jpg
    IMG_4705_edited-2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4706_edited-2.jpg
    IMG_4706_edited-2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 146

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Rick, that's a beautiful piece of work. I love the addition of the hill. When you catch up, I'd love to buy a few from you.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like that, it a great improvement/refinement of the original version. Excellent job. I think your buddy will really like it, if not he's got no sense :roll::roll:

Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Rick,
That looks great!! I love it and and am honored that you took something I threw out there and made it your own. The notion to send the pen to me is overly generous and not necessary. I'm very happy that it worked out for you! It sounds like you are going to have a busy next couple months making more of them. If you feel obligated to 'donate' that pen, I would ask that you think about the one person in your life who influenced you the most in your faith. With that, I would send the pen to them and explain to them the value that they have added to your life and that this is the first in a series. I think that would be a big compliment.

Once again...nice work...especially with the grain matchup.

Regards,
Chris

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
NIce execution on the theme.
If you don't mind a suggestion.
Try cutting the cross shallower on the cross piece so it doesn't"wrap" so far around the barrell.
for the horizon line make a tapered dado rather than a through cut.
these two changes would leave the obverse side of the blank solid.
Drilling dead center for the tube is key on patterned blanks.
Nice job on the concept.:icon_thum

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
NIce execution on the theme.
If you don't mind a suggestion.
Try cutting the cross shallower on the cross piece so it doesn't"wrap" so far around the barrell.
for the horizon line make a tapered dado rather than a through cut.
these two changes would leave the obverse side of the blank solid.
Drilling dead center for the tube is key on patterned blanks.
Nice job on the concept.:icon_thum

I like those suggestions, Eagle, but to clarify, aren't you actually suggesting basically using a dado-ish thing for all the 'inlay' pieces??? --- to prevent the cross from showing through on the back side?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I like those suggestions, Eagle, but to clarify, aren't you actually suggesting basically using a dado-ish thing for all the 'inlay' pieces??? --- to prevent the cross from showing through on the back side?

Yep but I just realized I didn't have enough coffee this morning before I made the suggestion.
Without making a true inlay something has to show on the opposite side.
There is the vertical member of the cross to deal with if dados are used for the "hill" and the cross bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS