Cribbage Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Hey All,
I haven't been around much as life (all parts) has gotten busy. Generally, this is a good thing, but it has kept me from visiting as much as I am accustomed to (let alone posting). Anyway, I thought I would post a project I did for a friend. This is actually a Christmas gift for his sister and I'm finally getting around to posting it.

I don't play cribbage, so I don't know much about the game, except to say that this was the hardest scorepad that I have ever made :) I took some walnut that I had picked up from Kyle, resawed it and book-matched it to make a wide enough board. I am most happy with the way the book-match turned out. It is hard to pick out the seam. The Start/Finish are made from macassar ebony. The rectangles are quilted maple inlays. The star is inlayed from curly maple and cherry.

It didn't turn out perfect, by any means, but I am very happy with it...it definately pushed the limits for me and I learned a lot.

CribbageBoard_002.jpg

CribbageBoard_014.jpg

Oh...and I used tung oil/poly blend hand rubbed finish.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
My Dad taught me how to play cribbage when I was young. That is a beautiful board. Did you put drawers in it for the pegs (it looks big enough that you might have put a compartment in the bottom for those and maybe even the cards!). Nice work :icon_thum:eusa_danc:eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WOW!!! Chris that is outstanding :eusa_clap. I really like how the bookmatched figure seems to rise up to the star inlay. I also really like how you used the curly Maple grain to add a 3-D effect to the star. You, my friend, have some talent :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That looks GREAT Chirs! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Very impressive!

What is cribbage? :week: :rotflm:

Trent ;-)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Chris,

I don't play cribbage , but that board is beautiful. The depth in the woods is fantastic. That board shouldn't be put away in a closet after they play a game, instead it should be kept out as artwork.

Nice Job.

Jimmy:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Beautiful! I've played cribbage a few times, the board definitely sets it apart from other card games. And this board is definitely set apart from other boards! The bookmatching did came out great, that is an awesome looking piece of walnut. Great choice in contrasting woods as well.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Chris, that's a thing of beauty!! Super detail and wood selections. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

I have played many a round with my ex neighbor from Wisconsin who was also an ex Marine Gunny! He taught me a thing or two!!
:confused_:eusa_thin:confused_:eusa_thin

It's a popular game in the Midwest, especially in the bars in the winter. I think Cribbage and Brandy are entertwined somehow!
:wwink:

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Thanks, all. I have done some inlay before, but not to this 'degree'. I missed the alignment here and there, but, like I said, I'm quite happy with it. I'm proud of the alignment for my level of experience :) You guys are right, that wood is absolutely gorgeous.

I create templates to do most of the inlay. The straight pieces were a snap. The round pieces took me a long/long/long time to get the jig setup. I probably made close to 1/2 dozen before getting it right. I did put the inlay in, then mark it, then drilled it on the press. I am shocked how much a little bit wobble affects the alignment...even with perfectly laid out marks. The star was done 'by hand' with a marking knife and mostly chisels ( a little router on the big areas, but mostly by hand).

That was a good question on the drawer for pegs/cards/etc. I had planned to add that, but it was more of an after-thought. I was afraid of ruining the board, so I opted out of adding those. Instead, I bought a nice silk bag with a ribbon string to hold the pieces. I think that ended up being ok for the recipient.

The pegs were turned on my lathe and are made from wenge, maple and bubinga to set them apart nicely.

Thanks for the super nice comments, gang! It's always nice to log in to hear compliments :)

Chris

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wonderful looking board, Chris!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

I especially like the curvy peg track. About all I ever seen and played on has been simple, boring, straight parallel tracks.

Looks to me that you have the inlay work down pat!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Beautiful choice of wood and finish too!!!

Well Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS