Crib / Changing table

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Going to build my new grand baby a crib with attached changing table. I have in my head what i want to build but i'm a visual kind of guy and need to see something similar so i can pull my thoughts out of my head... looking for images/plans and the like... plus what is the spacing between the bars? Is there a standard for that?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I have not really found anything my daughter in law likes on google images yet.

But this is kind of the idea... crib with an attached changing table on the side at first. Then later a twin sized bed, where the changing table is detached and converted to become a sock and underwear chest.

this is the idea (google images) behind the crib / bed conversion - seems someone else thought of this first.

kalani-crib-conversion.jpg

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Billy:

Our son is three months old now. We change him in the Living room as much as we do in the bedroom, probably even more so. what we use is a portable changing table that happened to come with the playpen. It will sit on both the crib and the playpen. It has a short strap that you can fasten around his waist to prevent falls. Its also sort of u-shaped.

My input is this: a better thing might be a changing caddy, with space for diapers, lotion, wipes and burp cloths- and a spot where you can place the dirty diaper before you toss it. I can take pictures in the morning, but I guess I'm just trying to tell you that it might not be necessary to reinvent the wheel. Portable seems to be king these days.

For my older daughters we had a dedicated changing area and I remember using it. But what we have now is so much easier. Its light, and goes with us everywhere. If we are in the bedroom, we use it there, and in the Living room, we set it on the playpen (it has the same width as the crib) and use it there.

I really like the convertible crib idea though. I have used them in the past. Worked really well. And if POP-POP made it... Well it might just last generations!

Glen

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I doodled this out a while ago. It's from a plan sold by one of the magazines. There was an error in the plan so I drew the model to sort it out. Anyway, maybe it would be along the lines of what you're after. It also assembles into a crib. It would be easy to add a board for changing if needed.

Last edited:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I always change the kid near the stuff. I think I love the convertible crib design with a separate dresser with a caddy for all the diaper changing stuff.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Changing tables are great if they are nearby, but as the kids become more active they rarely are.
+ 1 for the caddy idea Glen mentions.

Most of the time we do the changing on a pad on the floor- they can't fall off no matter how much they squirm.

I thought about building the convertible crib/bed concept.
Don't think too long or they won't need it!
(DAMHIKT)

StephenK

New User
Stephen
2.375" or less on the slat spacing. My dad made us a nice changing tray to hold the changing matress for our twins. It's in their bedroom. We used it quite a bit the first year. It's a nice place to put clean pajamas now - they'll be 3 in June.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Changing table needs to be high to save Mama's back. Make a frame to support a heavy canvas area. Make a sag in canvass in the middle to hold the baby. They can't get out of a 3" sag. On they other side cut a spot in a plywood top for a removable wash basin. Have a small storage area behind the basin for small stuff. Make it free-standing for future as needs change. No picture, I did this 45 years ago.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
As said, be sure to read and understand the design and build requirements promulgated by the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Go to their website for info. All cribs are required to meet these standards even if it is for your own child.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Remind me to post some pics but I build a small chest of drawers with a removable changing table top. This keeps all supplies in one place while the baby is an infant and once they are old enough, remove the changing top and you have a kids sized chest of drawers....wait 9-more years and build a top-half and you will be left with a nice dresser.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
As said, be sure to read and understand the design and build requirements promulgated by the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Go to their website for info. All cribs are required to meet these standards even if it is for your own child.
I think that DIY cribs are not required to meet the new standard. From a link another member posted:

"We do not consider “in-home care,” where a child is cared for in his/her own
home or by a relative in the child’s home or the relative’s home, to be a “child
care facility” or a “family child care home.”
In turn, we do not consider such arrangements to be subject to the new crib
standards. "

http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2011/06/the-new-crib-standard-questions-and-answers/

-Mark

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm real close now to a design thanks to you guys/gals. Crib, chest of drawers with a removal changing caddy.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
With my daughter in law I sketched on paper/pencil a design she likes. Now that it's out of my head and on paper i just need measurements and hardware. The crib is built around the mattress so thats easy... but i need to locate a crib mattress spring platform and hangers - any good sources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS