Crib / Changing table

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
My son and I started on my grand daughters crib/full size bed. We did no get very far and we are just figuring the headboard out... we want to do a modified craftsman style rail and stile with 3 raised panels on the head board. I have a design question. Just slot the posts for the panel or add a stile to the post and go from there?
uploadfromtaptalk1406043610112.jpg

Thx

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
In my opinion, you should just slot the posts for the panels. If you put stiles in and make them wide enough so they look like they belong, the panels will be too narrow.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Jeff.

When I did a headboard for our grand daughter last year, I elected to add a stile next to each post. (This allowed me join the whole frame and panel (3) assembly to each post with dowels.

100_5620.JPG

100_5362.JPG

Wayne​

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff.

When I did a headboard for our grand daughter last year, I elected to add a stile next to each post. (This allowed me join the whole frame and panel (3) assembly to each post with dowels.

100_5620.JPG

100_5362.JPG

Wayne​

Very clean Wayne :) so each one of the 4 stiles are equal widths - which one would expect.

Do you happen to recall the panel and stile widths? Your ratio seem very pleasing to the eye. The one we are building will eventually convert to a full bed also so we are trying to get a pleasing post/stile/panel width ratio in two configurations (crib/full mattresses) 2" width differences. Notice how wide the posts are which is throwing us a curve ball... No matter which way we go the panel will be to wide for my 8' jointer so we will have to run them through the planer with a sled to straighten them out after the glue up.

We are loosely following these wood mag plans/concept.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-K3RxpywSS.../Ba3zwz3-Xnw/s1600/3+in+1+baby+crib+plans.jpg

Thx

Last edited:

Glennbear

Glenn
I think that DIY cribs are not required to meet the new standard. From a link another member posted:

"We do not consider “in-home care,” where a child is cared for in his/her own
home or by a relative in the child’s home or the relative’s home, to be a “child
care facility” or a “family child care home.”
In turn, we do not consider such arrangements to be subject to the new crib
standards. "

http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2011/06/the-new-crib-standard-questions-and-answers/

-Mark

I have been a subscriber to CPSC safety bulletins for many years and spent a majority of my working career in public safety professions. I think that CPSC crib standards were developed after thorough professional research and even if a DIY exemption is in place I cannot see why one would risk tragedy by not using the standards. I realize that some of the safety standards can be a PITA and admit that I do disable select safety devices on some of lawn equipment but I am cognizant of the risk ensuing and adjust my usage to compensate. The reality is crib safety standards were developed to protect the little people who cannot protect themselves. I have no patience for those folks who consider any government safety standard inherently evil and risk life and limb of themselves and loved ones for some misdirected sense of personal freedom. :wsmile:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I have been a subscriber to CPSC safety bulletins for many years and spent a majority of my working career in public safety professions. I think that CPSC crib standards were developed after thorough professional research and even if a DIY exemption is in place I cannot see why one would risk tragedy by not using the standards. I realize that some of the safety standards can be a PITA and admit that I do disable select safety devices on some of lawn equipment but I am cognizant of the risk ensuing and adjust my usage to compensate. The reality is crib safety standards were developed to protect the little people who cannot protect themselves. I have no patience for those folks who consider any government safety standard inherently evil and risk life and limb of themselves and loved ones for some misdirected sense of personal freedom. :wsmile:

Yep and fully agree, Glenn... the last page of the wood mag plans we are loosely following has these safety standards listed for handy reference.

Glennbear

Glenn
Yep and fully agree, Glenn... the last page of the wood mag plans we are loosely following has these safety standards listed for handy reference.

Warms my heart to hear the mag does that. I admit that I am a tad jealous of you, my first grandchild is due in September but his aunt and uncle have already handed down all the requisite baby furniture. :(

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
I think it would look nice to have the 2 stiles in the picture the same width as the posts, then no additional rails and stiles needed, slot what's there.

Chris

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with Glenn completely.

Regardless of whether or not the CPSC requirements are mandatory, they might just be a good idea. Erring on the side of safety when it comes to kids is always wise. A lot of hard lessons went into these kind of rules and requirements. None of us want to repeat those hard lessons.

Also glad to hear the magazine is promoting safety as well.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Either way works, but my preference would be to slot the legs, both center posts, and the stiles.

Notice how wide the posts are which is throwing us a curve ball...

They don't look overly wide to me. What are their dimensions? Also, what are the dimensions (lx w) of the overall opening? Those numbers can be helpful in determining a pleasing ratio.

Glennbear

Glenn

Regardless of whether or not the CPSC requirements are mandatory, they might just be a good idea. Erring on the side of safety when it comes to kids is always wise. A lot of hard lessons went into these kind of rules and requirements. None of us want to repeat those hard lessons.

Received a CPSC bulletin this morning regarding some cribs made in Latvia, in this case the spacing was right but the joinery was not. :nah:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Oeuf-Recalls-to-Repair-Cribs/

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

Then y'all better stop building cribs now.

The standards you and Glennbear heartily endorse include requirements for rigorous testing at a CPSC approved 3rd party facility. The logic behind the test requirements is as valid as the logic behind the design requirements - joints may weaken over time, etc.

They are not practical for a DIY'er. For example, a 2009 CPSC estimate put the cost of testing a single crib at $1200. Hope your crib passes the first time.

My points being: i) the CPSC - probably reluctantly - created the DIY'er exception for a reason, ii) sometimes you need to read the standard to know what's in it.

-Mark

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
What a totally boring project this crib is... I'm on the spindles now for the foot and side boards... I've roughed out 30 spindles from #1 walnut to show mostly QS grain.

I'm jointing them now and I found my mind wondering. I decided it's best to step away from the meat grinder (jointer) for a while and until I can pay complete attention to the jointing task at hand.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
what a totally boring project this crib is... I'm on the spindles now for the foot and side boards... I've roughed out 30 spindles from #1 walnut to show mostly qs grain.

I'm jointing them now and i found my mind wondering. I decided it's best to step away from the meat grinder (jointer) for a while and until i can pay complete attention to the jointing task at hand.
good plan!!!!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Why must they make things so difficult these days? I'm up to the stage where we order the hardware (mattress spring, attachments, nuts/bolts etc...) I have assembled many a crib, working for several furniture stores in the days of my youth. I am simply amazed how stupid we have become... this used to be simple... the mattress would set on 4 flat bars. The flat bars were screwed into the the wood sides of the crib, the bars were punched so the had strategic placed hooks that the mattress spring frame rested on and hooked into place and takes all of a few seconds to adjust the height. This made raising and lowing the mattress a cake walk for mom. But NO... not good enough - some braineack has said we must have threaded inserts and special arms and special tools to raise and lower the mattress spring now - just plain stupid in my opinion... lets make this as difficult as we possibly can... :( Who cares if the special toos are misplaced and the mattress can not be lowered when the baby gets big enough to stand up - stupid, stupid, stupid...

OK I'm off my soapbox now... I play by the rules... order the freaking hardware, install it, instruct mom and dad to put the tool in a safe so it never gets lost and be happy I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors