Crepe Myrtle limbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
I am in the midst of pruning some crepe myrtles and was wondering if I should keep some for anything. The largest limbs that I am pruning are around 3" in diameter, so nothing huge.

I don't turn, so I have no ambitions of making pens or bowls or the other things that I have typically seen mentioned.

Would it make good pegs or dowels? Or should I just burn it?

Thanks,
Charles

Last edited:

macdaddy

New User
Steve
1 to 2 inch limbs can make very sturdy canes. Sometimes you can find a natural curve that evens makes a handle. With just a knife something could be carved on it also.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I turn a decent amount of crepe myrtle, but you should be able to make a walking stick, fighting staff (Bo, jo, etc.), bow and arrows, chicken roost, and tool handles without needing to use a lathe. The wood is a little bit harder than cherry.

cpw

New User
Charles
I've never harvested my own wood. Any idea how I should dry it? Bark on? Bark off? Wax or Anchorseal the ends? How soon after cutting?

manfre

New User
Manfre
Definitely seal the ends. I usually turn it wet, but when I don't it usually splits. I've had a few pieces split the entire length of the piece and ended up looking like a hot dog bun.

Rob

New User
Rob
Branches by their nature are very unstable. It's hard to get the pith out and that's where they usually start cracking.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've never harvested my own wood. Any idea how I should dry it? Bark on? Bark off? Wax or Anchorseal the ends? How soon after cutting?

Welcome to the wild and wooly unknown of what to do with this stuff. :eek: I've just started a similar adventure with some holly after serious dead heading of 2 landscape plants. It's worth a try and the jury is still out about 3 weeks later.

The ends should be sealed quickly (latex primer works so far). Bark on/bark off has been a mixed review from other members at this site so I've done a bit of both. These pieces are currently on saw horses in the garage attic.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=68314&title=holly-21&cat=2635

Four smaller branches were rough sawn into 24" l x 1.5" squares and they started out pretty nice with a 24% MC. About 2 weeks later the MC was 16% and they've turned into pretzels that look like an unpainted barber pole with a serious helical twist.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=68439&title=holly-pretzels&cat=2635

So maybe give it a try and we'll all learn collectively.

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/f69/crepe-myrtle-sticks-canes-25006/

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Hello Mr. C. Look up oyster veneering for some ideas on what to do with tree branches. This style of veneering involves slicing round limbs into thin veneers and gluing them onto a substrate. I have seen some elaborate work on furniture using this method. Kind of a quirky look but different. The pieces are cut thin, stickered, and allowed to dry for a while before gluing, but since it is end grain it should dry quickly. Unfortunately I did not think of this when my own crepe myrtle tree lost a couple of large limbs during Hurricane Irene.
Mike-Forest City native-East Rutherford class of '73.

cpw

New User
Charles
Mike,

Looks like you and I traded places. I live in Greenville for four years while I attended ECU.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS