Creating tapered legs without a table saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenBen

New User
Ben
What alternatives do I have to creating tapered table legs without the use of a table saw? I have mine in storage in other place, no room for it in my current living situation. I do have a router table and a jointer, can either be used to make 4 identical tapers? Thanks!

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I would say you could use my table saw, but I'm sure 3 1/2 hour drive just wont be worth it. I'm sure someone in your area will chime in and offer the use of their table saw. I'm sure there are other methods. But I'm sure the table saw is the easiest and simplest

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hand plane, jointer, router table can all be used to taper legs. Make a jig for the router table may be the least skilled way, hand plane is safest but slowest.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
You can cut them with either the jointer or the router table, both with some varying degree of accuracy. As a foot note, I've been cutting mine on the bandsaw for 5 or 6 years now and much prefer that, it's much safer and controllable for both my fingers and the workpiece. Cut them a little fat and after the bandsaw, a light pass or two over the jointer and they're perfect. I'm in Asheville every weekday, and if you will bring the blanks by the office, I'll be glad to take them home and cut them for you. :icon_thum

BenBen

New User
Ben
Thanks for the feedback, I just needed to get the creative juices flowing, because I knew it was possible on a router table, just couldn't envision it. I think I am going to try and build a jig for my router table.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Band saw, did not see where anyone mentioned this way. Clean up by hand, jointer or router.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I have tapered lags on a jointer. Just draw the lines for the taper, set the angle either by hand or a jig. Was quite easy. Now that I have a bandsaw, I will probably utilize it.

tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS