Corrugated or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodrat

New User
Archie
Y'all got to forgive my ignorance about these things, please.

Some of the planes I've looked at(on the web) have corrugated
soles.

What is the purpose for that and should I stay away from them? :help:

Once again, thanks for the input.

4yanks

New User
Willie
Corrugated soles are designed to reduce friction. This is particularly important when working with pine. Less surface area meant less drag for the craftsman of old who might be slinging the plane around all day. For most of us it is not a necessity, but not a drawback either. In other words I wouldn't pay more for one unless you are a collector, but I wouldn't turn one down if it was a good deal.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
My experience: Corrugated soles do provide a little less resistance when you get down to a smooth surface. Before that the difference is nil.

Corrugated soles are easier to flatten because there is less metal to take off. This is based on hand flattening, not using a band sander. You cannot determine sole flatness over the internet.

I would not make it a deciding factor in purchasing a user plane, unless all other factors were absolutely equal, and the plane was in the larger sizes. That would be impossible to determine over the net.

There is a school of thought that by corrugating the sole, it made it weaker and more prone to warping. I have not found that to be true, but my experience is limited.

Go

woodrat

New User
Archie
Corrugated soles are designed to reduce friction. This is particularly important when working with pine. Less surface area meant less drag for the craftsman of old who might be slinging the plane around all day. For most of us it is not a necessity, but not a drawback either. In other words I wouldn't pay more for one unless you are a collector, but I would turn one down if it was a good deal.

Willie,

Are you saying that you would turn one down if it was a good deal??
Or, is that a typo?

No, I'm not a collector, just trying to get a handle on some of this stuff.

Thanks,

woodrat

New User
Archie
My experience: Corrugated soles do provide a little less resistance when you get down to a smooth surface. Before that the difference is nil.

Corrugated soles are easier to flatten because there is less metal to take off. This is based on hand flattening, not using a band sander. You cannot determine sole flatness over the internet.

I would not make it a deciding factor in purchasing a user plane, unless all other factors were absolutely equal, and the plane was in the larger sizes. That would be impossible to determine over the net.

There is a school of thought that by corrugating the sole, it made it weaker and more prone to warping. I have not found that to be true, but my experience is limited.

Go

Mark,

Thanks for the input. Of course I know one can't determine flatness etc
over the internet. I was just using that as a reference as to where I had
seen/heard of the corrugated sole. Seems to me as if it would also make
it a little lighter.

So, in your opinion, you would not hesitate to buy a plane with a corrugated
sole if it was in decent condition. Is that correct? Oh, and assuming it
was not a price rip off either. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Another "me, too.". My favorite (#4) is corrugated, but that wasn't a factor in choosing it. I bet most people couldn't tell in a blindfold test.

4yanks

New User
Willie
Willie,

Are you saying that you would turn one down if it was a good deal??
Or, is that a typo?

No, I'm not a collector, just trying to get a handle on some of this stuff.

Thanks,

I'm sorry. You're right that was a typo. I would NOT turn one down if it was a good deal. Thanks.

Willie

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Overall corrugated planes are more desirable than smooth bottom planes. This probably stems from the fact that corrugated bottom planes cost more "new" than smooth bottom planes because of the extra factory machine work. In plane collector world, corrugated bottom planes are generally worth at least a little more in the common bench planes. Also in collector world, corrugated bottom versions of some planes are scarce to rare to non-existent, and as you can imagine these fetch premium dollar, and probably something to avoid for a user plane.

As some of the posts have said, for user planes, there's no reason to avoid corrugated bottom planes. As some said, the corrugated bottom is actually more desirable in the larger size planes. If you use a #8 or #7 for a couple of hours, you will have an appreciation for anything to make it easier (and a new-found love for your electric jointer and planer) Not only does a corrugated bottom reduce friction because of reduced surface area, but the corrugations also break up the vacuum between the plane and the wood. Particularly with some closed grain woods, you can really feel the plane "suck down" to the wood when you get the wood flat and smooth, and this effect is greatly reduced with a corrugated bottom. If you're planning to use your handplanes a lot or for larger size planes, corrugated bottoms will make your life easier unless you're trying to get Popeye arms. For occasional use, it probably doesn't matter.

woodrat

New User
Archie
A big Thank you to everyone that responded to this post.

Randy, Andy, Willie, I greatly appreciate your input and insight. I feel
I can now make an informed decision should I be faced with a good
deal on a corrugated bottom plane as opposed to smooth.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS