Copper Going Up in Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For several weeks, I have been watching the price of #6 copper wire. This week at HD, it jumped from $0.54 a foot, to $0.67 a foot. This amounts to almost 25% price increase. Electrical guy said it would probably be going up more. Other sizes also went up also. FYI

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Well, I for one am not disappointed with this. I have several hundred pounds of #3/0 and 250MCM leftover from the shop project, and I've been thinking about selling it to a scrap dealer in order to clear our space in the barn.

Hopefully scrap is mirroring the resale prices...

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If things elsewhere in the state are like they are here, those of you building homes better place an armed guard on 'em until they are occupied!!

Go

rbdoby

New User
Rick
I sold some scrap copper about 2 months ago. At that time #2 grade scrap copper was selling a little over $2.00 a lb.

The laws have change about selling scrap copper. They now pay you with a check instead of cash, make a copy of your driver's license and depending on the type of scrap copper they take a thumb print. When did copper become a precious metal?

Rick Doby

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
I sold some scrap copper about 2 months ago. At that time #2 grade scrap copper was selling a little over $2.00 a lb.

The laws have change about selling scrap copper. They now pay you with a check instead of cash, make a copy of your driver's license and depending on the type of scrap copper they take a thumb print. When did copper become a precious metal?

Rick Doby

When people started resorting to stealing HVAC lines and plumbing. There were stories in the press last year of people calling the HVAC companies because their units were not working. Turned out someone had stolen the copper lines right out of the units.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Supply and demand coupled with a possible strike. Last time the miners went on strike, copper more than doubled overnight at the big box. I only bought 'enough' instead of what I thought I ought to and the next day when I went back I almost passed out. I omitted some outlets with the option to install later when things calmed down and managed with what I had.
Copper guttering was stolen off a local church when the last price spike happened. Two idiots cut down a light pole with a chainsaw to get the transformer and wire off it. Fortunately a PD officer heard the chainsaw at 2 am and investigated before the idiots found the power was still on. Um....... does ANYONE here think this is a reasonable or good idea?? The criminal mind never ceases to amaze and distress me. I'm convinced people will steal anything from anyone.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, I'm glad I bought all my wire already. The jump for #12 wouldn't be that big of course, but when you buy 3000ft, every increase matters!

Cltwoodman

New User
CltWoodman
Hold off on selling any metals, they will continue to rise in value. Any precious metals and copper. The copper might be worth selling soon, its at $3.12, it will probably go to $3.25 shortly.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
If things elsewhere in the state are like they are here, those of you building homes better place an armed guard on 'em until they are occupied!!

Go

I agree - but you better be watching after you occupy the dwelling - we had an electrician working on one of our jobs that had to stop and go rewire an occupied dwelling because all of the wiring got ripped out while they where away from the home -

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hold off on selling any metals, they will continue to rise in value. Any precious metals and copper. The copper might be worth selling soon, its at $3.12, it will probably go to $3.25 shortly.

Thanks for the advice. Any idea how long to wait?

Scott

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Two idiots cut down a light pole with a chainsaw to get the transformer and wire off it. Fortunately a PD officer heard the chainsaw at 2 am and investigated before the idiots found the power was still on. Um....... does ANYONE here think this is a reasonable or good idea?? The criminal mind never ceases to amaze and distress me. I'm convinced people will steal anything from anyone.

When I worked for the power company in NJ (PSE&G) this was not uncommon. Every two or three years the lineman were called out to a transformer problem and when they got there they found electrocuted bodies or pieces of bodies (arms) hanging from the transformer. Depending on the size of the feeding transformer, bodies could get burnt to a crisp literally. Criminals are not the brightest people on earth.:nah:

Dragon

New User
David
The higher prices climb on the big boys like gold and platinum, the more attractive the lesser metals like copper, aluminum, and silver become. With gold pretty much out of reach of the average investor already, I look for an increase in demand for silver. The deeper the economy goes into the sewer the more people look for some sort of hedge to protect against total collapse.

Copper is/was readily available due to its wide use in many applications and that makes it attractive to thieves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS