Construction of 1/2" plywood drawers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I would appreciate suggestions for 1/2" plywood drawers. I will add a false front of red oak once the drawers are glued up. Thanks Lorraine

rhett

New User
rhett
With an applied front, you can pocket screw the front/back to the sides so as not to see any fasteners when you open the drawer. This will also keep the groove for the bottom from being seen. Or you can dovetail them as they often do in factory cabinets. Do you know what slides you will be using?

Touchwood

New User
Don
Jim's right,

A rabbet joint is fast, simple..and with good glue and plywood , pretty strong. I would use a 1/4" dado for the cuts, rather than repeated saw kerf cuts.

It's even stronger if you dado a groove around the bottom to take the bottom piece..probably 1/4" ply, and since it's plywood you can glue the bottom piece all the way around in the slot. Pay attention to your assembly process..do a dry run first.

Don

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
i use drawer lock a bit in the router table. quick easy and strong. set up only take a few minuts and a couple of scraps of the same plywood. once set up you can do as many as you need regardless of size.

rhett

New User
rhett
The method being refered to is the 1/4 1/4 1/4 method. A 1/4" dado, set at 1/4" high, 1/4" from the fence will cut the bottom groove, the groove on the front/back and the tenon on both sides when ran vertically.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Well I have four drawers glued up and waiting for a oak front tomorrow. I used a 1/2" cut in the side board about 1/2" from the back end of the board, one used by Norma in many of his patterns. I cut 1/2" cut, side panel, on the inside of the plywood and butt jointed it to the front of the drawer. I used a 1/4" dado around the inside for the 1/4" plywood bottom and because the drawers were 31" across I added a 3" strip of 1/2" plywood under the drawer in the middle for extra support. They all got brads as well. Tomorrow the drawers will be fashioned from red oak and applied. The only thing left will be the solid red oak top and molding to make it look pretty. Can't wait till the stain goes on. BTY, this four drawer chest has been hanging around for over three years. It was my first piece that my brother David and I started together. He died before we were able to complete it and I lost the pattern and didn't have the knowledge to finish it on my own. I am happy to say I have come a long way and have an even longer way to go. Thanks guys and girls.
Lorraine
Yes, I will have pics as soon as it is finished.
I picked this project back up when the planer had to have a part ordered. I will soon be back working on the trestle table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS