connecting bandsaw to shopvac

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill r

New User
bill
6hp shopvac (2 1/2"), new band saw (4" dust port)

I want simplest way to connect band saw dust port to shopvac.
The 4" to 2 1/2" adapters appear to have a 4" OD so that won't fit on the band saw 4" OD port.
Someone must make and adapter to do this directly but I haven't found it yet -- or maybe I am totally confused. I don't really want to have to buy a piece of hose just to go from band saw port to adapter.:BangHead:

Any suggestions??

thanks

M

McRabbet

Bill,

I've had a few situations where the 4" x 2-1/2" adapter wouldn't fit, but good old duct tape rectified that real quickly. The 4" end is actually 3-7/8" in outside diameter and will fit inside 4" S&D pipe with a loose fit. But give duct tape a try.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Bill another thing that you can do is buy a piece of 4" snap lock hvac pipe from the BORGS ( a couple bucks) and cut a 4" or 5" section from it to use it as coupler. Just cut the snap lock before you snap it together, it's easier :BangHead:DAMHIKT.

Good luck,

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You could look for one of those couplers with a rubber collar in the plumbing section, but that's likely to be a lot more expensive than Rob or Jimmy's suggestions. Plus, any kind of hose would also require clamps - more cost.

woodrat

New User
Archie
I'm with Rob on this one. That's exactly what I did with my Delta B.S.
Duct tape has an almost unlimited number of uses. :gar-La;

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I tried duct tape, and it actually didn't hold well for me. I ended up buying a small section (like 6") of hose from woodcraft.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Can you say hose clamp? Two of them will do it. Get an old tire inner tube and cut it to fit onto the saw and your adapter. Wrap it around them both and then put your clamps over the tube - one on either piece.

As Jackie Gleason used to say - "and away we go ... "

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Bill,
new woodcraft catalog,page 14.There's several 4 to 2.5 adapters available.Should be some thing you can use.

bill r

New User
bill
thanks for all the input.

FYI, all the adapters appear to be to adapt a 4" hose to a 2.5 connector. therefore they won't fit OVER the saw port since it it meant to have a hose clamped to it also. Therefore the adapter 4" is the same size as the port 4".

solution:
I got a PVC 4 to 2.5 adapter - ground out the inside ridge to accomodate the 2.5 hose fitting and duct taped it to the saw port.

I think one that is just below the table would probably work better. This port is on the rear of the bottom wheel housing. Any thoughts on that??????

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Bill,
my Rikon has one at the rear near the bottom amd I use a flexible 2" snaplock setup for above the saw when I need it.Its the same setup that I switch over to the lathe when I'm sanding on the lathe.The snaplock stuff is that blue and orange fittings that are infinitely adjustable.If I can find a picture I will post it.

bill r

New User
bill
thanks Greg
I tried googling SNAPLOCK but found nothing that resembles your description.
I'm not familiar with it.
Where would I find it?

bill

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Whatever you wind up doing, I am curious to learn what kind of results you achieve from using the ShopVac. Everything I have read says that there is just not enough air movement from these and that the only true solution is a dust collector. Let us know how it turns out, it would be interesting to learn.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS