Concrete workbench top.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Throwing this out to the collective brain that is North Carolina Woodworker (or, What could be construed as my latest hair brained scheme)......

What if you made a solid base and poured a concrete top on a workbench?

Then clad the top with wood for actual use.

It'd give one mass. Also, concrete can take some pretty decent pounding in cases like mortising.

I'd think following a plan for an in place poured top, like making them for counter tops. Use some re-mesh and fiber fillers for strength.

Could lay 2x across the top or ply or hardboard/Masonite.

One issue that came to mind is dog holes.

http://www.toasterwaffles.com/general/workbench-of-joy-part-1

While "thinking", I also thought, what about a few layers of drywall?

Jim

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: Cement workbench top.....

Interesting idea. Concrete counter tops are all the rage now in the new houses, next to granite. It would be very durable. But, if you're going to cover the top with something like hardboard, plywood or 2x, why go through all the trouble of concrete? A few layers of MDF would give you same characteristics I think, without the work. Doesn't have the same cool factor though.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

While drywall would be heavy it doesn't match the density of concrete and would fail with time. If you made a sub sub top from treated plywood and used treated blocks placed strategically in the form for dog holes, you could pour a reinforced top over that. Then you could put a wood top over the concrete. Just be sure to brace it well. Also, put some sort of vapor barrier over the concrete or seal it to help it cure and avert moisture transmission to the wood top.

navy1990

New User
Matt

I saw a DIY-type show where they made a concrete kitchen countertop. To make the holes for the faucet and water valves, they used PVC pipe cut to size. You could use those to make the dog holes. It might take alot of PVC, depending on how many holes you want, but it would be worth it in the end. Sounds like a great project and a workbench that would survive WW III.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Sounds like a cool idea. However, if you need help moving, DO NOT call me. :gar-La;

jerrye

New User
Jerry

While we're talking harebrained, one post I might actually qualify to comment on....

One issue that came to mind is dog holes. Jim

I wonder if you could use slightly tapered candles as cherries, pour around them, then melt them out once the concrete cured?? :eusa_thin

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User

Learn the difference between cement and concrete. Cement is the "flour, and concrete is the "bread."

shanekennedy

New User
shane

poured tinted concrete counter tops when i built my house 8 yrs ago

60+ sq ft for just over $100, can't beat the price

use wood wrapped in wax paper for the dog holes, then hammer them out once concrete is cured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors