completed tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
A few weeks ago I posted photos of the bases of these tables (tables underway) and then went off in a few other directions before returning to this subject (I built the picture frame miter sled that I needed to help build the table tops and clamp storage to further the cause of organizing). I got back on subject and wrapped them up today, my wife Sandra's birthday. Great, unplanned timing! I built 3 pieces, two out of mahogany and one out of cherry. All of the legs are of the same basic design but the ones on the cherry table are rotated 180 as compared to the ones on the mahogany tables. The legs have gentle curves on the "tapered side". All of the tops have porcelain tiles set-in which are the same as we used for the entrance walk, the foyer floor and the fireplace surround.

Here they are all lined up

DSC000531.JPG

View image in gallery

Here are the two mahogany tables in front of the sofa

Here is the cherry table at home in the foyer

Thanks for looking.

Bob

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Beautiful looking tables. I like the way you did the leg taper and table skirt.

Red

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
nice looking tables! I saw the pieces, nice to see the finished product. I like the different curves and tapers. adds nice elements to the overall look.

Great job!
Dan

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Beautiful tables! They really turned out wonderfully.

Those tapers on the mahogany tables are really subtle yet so effective.

I was fortunate enough to see them after the early coats of finish were applied. What a difference the tiles make!

Thanks for sharing!

Jim

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Bob,

These really turned out beautifully.

Can you tell us a bit about the tops? One of my daughters wanted a coffee table with a tile top. Did you use an adhesive? Mortar? Did you grout the edges or fit a wood frame around them? And did you use any sealant on the top?

Thanks

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Ray,

Thanks for the complement. I fitted a frame around the tile. I decided to make the frame perfectly square even though the tile isn't. Thus, there is a bit of a varying gap on some sides. I colored the raw edge of the tile black to help hide the gap variation. The bottom of the frame is rabbeted and the frame is glued to an mdf panel that the tile is held to with carpet tape, The tile can easily be removed by poking a finger or two through the ejector holes drilled in the mdf. The frame was finished with 4 coats of Sam Maloof oil finish and then top coated with 2 coats of Ceramathane, a water resistant finish that I bought from Highland Woodworking.

Hope this helps,
Bob

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bobby they came out really nice. :icon_thum I take it Woodcraft had that wood you needed to finish. I like how you fitted the top to the tile. I might have to borrow that idea for a project

T

toolferone

Hey Bob, the tables are great! how about a pic of the sled you built. I know how you love to build jigs. It is probably as nice as the tables:gar-Bi!

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Great design Bobby G, and good looking craftsmanship!

The one in the foyer looks great with the floor. Your honey's gotta be happy!

happy WW,
Bobby C

Truefire

New User
Chris
Great job Bob, they look nice and fit nicely into your home there. Good job and unique implementation on the reversal of the legs on the cherry table. I like that. :eusa_danc

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors