Combs from scrap

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Is there really such a thing as "scrap wood"? Here's a couple of combs made from "scrap" Padauk and Hard Maple. 7" long x 2' tall x 1/4" thick. Grain of the maple runs with the length of the teeth. Padauk is glued with a tongue and groove joint to make the comb more rigid. I've included a .pdf of the pattern I made.

How small of a piece of scrap do you need to keep?

I have also placed some more pictures of the bent wood box I made in my photo gallery. More details of the joints and jigs used to make the box.

Rick Doby

Attachments

• Combs2.jpg
    Combs2.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Combs.pdf
    30.1 KB · Views: 167

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Those are very cool. I believe that I have seen it all...wooden combs, what a great idea. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Please put your PDF plan into the download library, I would love to be able to refer back to it in the future :icon_thum

Dave:)

dozer

Mike
Very cool I really like the combs even thought I personally have no need for a comb I might have to try to make one for the fun of it.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dang Rick, those look great!

Did you sand between each of the prongs? They cuts are so smoooooth :eusa_clap

Roger

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Rick,

The combs are beautiful. I think I'd be afraid to do anything but put them on display. You don't actually use these do you?

Ray

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Roger,

Ya, it doesn't take long. Lock them in a vise and use a strip of 150 grit holding the ends of the strip. It rounds the edges as you sand out the saw marks.

Rick Doby

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Ray,

They are meant to be used. I've been told that they do not create static like a plastic comb.

Rick Doby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS