Colorful New Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Some time ago Ridgid/Home Depot announced the debut of the R4511 granite topped TS. I have been reading all the reviews and haunting the Ridgid forum while waiting for the local BORG to put one on the floor. A couple weeks ago one appeared and I was able to [STRIKE]drool[/STRIKE]
look at it. :tool: Unfortunately my wallet condition precluded further action :eusa_naug. A few days ago HD started their instant rebate sale and as farmerbw (Brian) pointed out in another thread http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f77/hd-25-300-off-power-tools-22791/ by combining purchases a $150 savings on the saw was possible. I went back to the store, purchased the saw and a box of pneumatic nails which made me eligible for the larger rebate which equated to a savings of about 25% :gar-Bi As luck would have it Lowe's was having a 12 month no payment/no interest sale on their credit card which a managerial type at HD agreed to match. That meant I am able to spread my wallet pain over a year which made the purchase doable. With a shipping weight of 477 lbs. the judicious use of a ramp and helpful neighbor :help: got it out of my truck.

Despite some not too specific directions the saw went together fairly easily. It came packaged in a pretty nifty square metal tubing roll cage which will be living a second life when I convert it to a rolling shop table.:wink_smil If you look closely at this picture you can see sawdust evident where I ran test cuts on every size/species of wood I had in the shop which it did without a whimper. :icon_thum The massive top does a great job of dampening vibration. I am quite pleased and now this pretty orange saw lends some color to my shop which is 99% populated with boring grey Craftsman machines. :rotflm: IMHO this saw may become the next "best unkept secret bargain" similar to the famous HF lathe. :wsmile:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
congrats on a new saw glenn!:icon_thum ya bringin it to the picnic for us to see?:rotflm:

Glennbear

Glenn
congrats on a new saw glenn!:icon_thum ya bringin it to the picnic for us to see?:rotflm:

Thanks Fred but, Uhhhhhhhhhhh NO!! :nah: not at that weight. :gar-La; I will however load up my Craftsman TS which I have listed in the classifieds if the purchaser wants me to deliver. :gar-Bi

bwat

New User
Bill
What a bargain! 25% off and no interest on a freshly introduced machine is a deal in anyone's book. Congrats!:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Glenn how sweet it is. I am quite impressed with the concept of granite tabled tools. Until recently Steel City was the only one offering them. I hope this is a trend that will continue.

You rock, dude!

Dave:)

Glennbear

Glenn
Glenn how sweet it is. I am quite impressed with the concept of granite tabled tools. Until recently Steel City was the only one offering them. I hope this is a trend that will continue.

You rock, dude!

Dave:)

Thanks Dave, It is my understanding that the Ridgid is dang near a clone of one of the SC models and Ridgid collaborated with them on design. :wsmile:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
If it is as accurate as my cast Iron Ridgid, you will love it. You Rock!!!

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Congratulations Glen. I've been watching the saw at HD in Knightdale. They have one about 90% put together. Nothing straight, square, level etc. I checked prices the other day after someone posted about tool discount at HD. They coupon taped to the saw said $75 off. That would have made it about $525. How'd you get it down further?

Tom

Glennbear

Glenn
Congratulations Glen. I've been watching the saw at HD in Knightdale. They have one about 90% put together. Nothing straight, square, level etc. I checked prices the other day after someone posted about tool discount at HD. They coupon taped to the saw said $75 off. That would have made it about $525. How'd you get it down further?

Tom

The HD instant rebate program is progressive and you can combine eligible items on the same receipt. By combining the $599 saw with a package of eligible pneumatic fasteners my total purchase was over $600 thereby increasing the rebate to $150. :wsmile:

sawduster

New User
Robert
Oh yeah , U Da Man :banana:

Top-of-the-line tool, creative financing ....he shoots, he scores, he ROCKS!!

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
I saw one the other day in the HD in Greenville. Lets imagine this conversation with the LOML...

Her "What, your other saw is only a year old"

Me "but"

Her "It looks the same, NO"

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Congratulations, Glenn!
If you keep collecting table saws you're gonna need a shop addition:gar-La;

YOU ROCK!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Congratulations there, Glenn!!!

That is one sweet looking saw. :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Did you have to install the granite wings? I am curious has to what they use to attach them to the cabinet. Is there some sort of threaded insert? Also. Do you think that they are as heavy as cast iron?

Nice snag on the sale. (I picked up their 6" jointer a couple of years ago when they were running the same type of sale.:gar-Bi)

YOU ROCK!!!!!

Enjoy!

Wayne

Glennbear

Glenn
Congratulations, Glenn!
If you keep collecting table saws you're gonna need a shop addition:gar-La;

YOU ROCK!

Thanks Randy, I am trying to weed out my TS collection, the Craftsman will probably be making a journey to WV for another NCWW member who has said he wants it and I will be putting the Skil up for sale shortly. :wsmile:

Congratulations there, Glenn!!!

That is one sweet looking saw. :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Did you have to install the granite wings? I am curious has to what they use to attach them to the cabinet. Is there some sort of threaded insert? Also. Do you think that they are as heavy as cast iron?

Nice snag on the sale. (I picked up their 6" jointer a couple of years ago when they were running the same type of sale.:gar-Bi)

YOU ROCK!!!!!

Enjoy!

Wayne

Thanks Wayne , the tabletop, which is mounted at the factory, weighs 88 lbs. and the wings weigh 50 lbs. each. The wings each have 2 metal tracks on the underside as does the tabletop. Steel bars slide into the table top tracks and wing tracks similar to sliding dovetails. The bars have set screws for leveling of the wings. Each wing has 3 pocket holes for threaded studs and nuts which thread into inserts in the tabletop. It seems to be a very sturdy system. If you want more information the woodworking forum at the Ridgid site is a wealth of information and pictures regarding this saw and the rest of the Ridgid line. :wsmile:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Congrats Glenn, I figured you were going to bite the bullet after those last couple of posts, not to mention the classified listing!!! I'm still tempted specially if they'll match lowes for interest free financing, but since today is the last day I'm probably going to have to pass this time.

Great score and I'm glad someone I know finally got one so I can really trust the reviews and feedback. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS