Closing the Phil Thein 60 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Dust collection and BBQ threads:swoon::swoon:. They all go this way.:help::help:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Glenn, we're not "former yankee's" in the right neighborhoods down this way, I am still known as "that d^^* yankee"

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Too bad you're closing it. I was thinking and observing last night after ripping 30+ 2x4s 8' long into thirds with a circular saw that a very efficient method of dust collection was the failure to trim one's nose hairs - and a good ol' hanky.:rotflm:
Glenn, it is correct to say that DC is a relative issue. It is relative to one's budget, skills, & comfort level.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Rant on........IMHO 99.5% of the dust collection threads that go astray are the result of the bombastic know it all attitude of a certain member in Little Washington who has no qualms about attacking the efforts of others to control/collect dust. The reason for these attacks is because the methodology/machinery used do not fit HIS idea of the right way to do things. It should also be noted that a majority of his posts are to tout HIS inventions, HIS magazine articles or attempts to get them published. IMHO this individual has absolutely no understanding of the concept of sharing ideas if they did not come from HIS own mind. His self centered nature was truly evident at our last picnic when he cornered our distingushed guest (Roy Underhill) and overtly interceded when other members attempted to engage in coversation instead of listening to his inane blathering about his personal accomplishments. I have learned that I am not alone in my opinion and received validation from two more members just tonight. .......Rant off. :wsmile:

+1

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
It does get old. Having a big ego is not against our policies, but wording your posts like personal attacks is! So even if Bruce had not asked to have his thread closed, it should be closed or moderated for that reason. Some people tried to keep it on the originally intended track, but to no avail.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Did anyone PM Alan and let him know he was over the line? IMHO people need to be told when they cross the line.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Did anyone PM Alan and let him know he was over the line? IMHO people need to be told when they cross the line.

I have not done so. Wayne have you? Alan did hijack the thread, but what was really wrong was making his remarks personal. He also assumed a lot of things about the original post. Bruce was not talking cfm, just chip separation. I could do without the potificating, but that in and of itself is not a violation.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Glenn, you are dead-on in your assessment of Alan. He does have a huge ego, and that might not be a violation of our policy, but he also has a mean-spirited streak that is as big as his ego. Something needs to be done to attempt to get him to change his attitude. I don't know what that would be and don't really think that anything would result in success. I came very close to putting him on my "ignore" list yesterday. That is something I haven't before but it is still a possibility. If you think he toots his own horn on the forums, you should visit him at his shop. I did that once and all I heard was "toot, toot, toot". Not a pleasant experience.

Rant on........IMHO 99.5% of the dust collection threads that go astray are the result of the bombastic know it all attitude of a certain member in Little Washington who has no qualms about attacking the efforts of others to control/collect dust. The reason for these attacks is because the methodology/machinery used do not fit HIS idea of the right way to do things. It should also be noted that a majority of his posts are to tout HIS inventions, HIS magazine articles or attempts to get them published. IMHO this individual has absolutely no understanding of the concept of sharing ideas if they did not come from HIS own mind. His self centered nature was truly evident at our last picnic when he cornered our distingushed guest (Roy Underhill) and overtly interceded when other members attempted to engage in coversation instead of listening to his inane blathering about his personal accomplishments. I have learned that I am not alone in my opinion and received validation from two more members just tonight. .......Rant off. As far as BBQ threads, from what I see BBQ threads will ALWAYS be problematic. :rotflm: BTW, being a former yankee with limited exposure to ANY BBQ, it all tastes good to me. :wsmile:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Alan's PM regarding thread closure last night........

Originally Posted by Canuck
Thread closed as requested.
In response to your Post (as quoted above) in the Phil Thein 60 , cyclone 0 thread:

Wayne,

I assume you closed this thread for some reason.

Except for possibly the quotes at the end, everything in my post was engineering "FACT." I think you are denying the membership the right to this information. If you can find ANYTHING in my post that is incorrect from a physics or engineering standpoint go ahead and keep the thread closed and I will apologize. But I don't think you will.

People read and believe posts like Glenn's, even though he is absolutely wrong in his analysis and approach.

Alan

My response to Alan this AM.....

Hi there Alan.

The reason that the thread was closed was as a result of a request from the original poster -Junquecol.

Irrespective of who is right or wrong concerning dust collection, we must ensure that all dialogue does not begin to imply personal attacks.

As always we appreciate your forum input, but only ask that you support us in keeping this site as friendly as possible.

Wayne

Are PM responses always this difficult to compose??

Wayne

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Glenn, you are dead-on in your assessment of Alan. He does have a huge ego, and that might not be a violation of our policy, but he also has a mean-spirited streak that is as big as his ego. Something needs to be done to attempt to get him to change his attitude. I don't know what that would be and don't really think that anything would result in success. I came very close to putting him on my "ignore" list yesterday. That is something I haven't before but it is still a possibility. If you think he toots his own horn on the forums, you should visit him at his shop. I did that once and all I heard was "toot, toot, toot". Not a pleasant experience.

I have no issue with folks tooting their own horn. I have known a few over my lifetime and learned to ignore most of their hype. It is when people directly attack another is when the line is crossed.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Wayne,

I think you sould receive combat pay. His note to you smacks of megalomania. As this borders on hostility, we as moderators, should be vigilant with regard to Alan's posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS