Clearvue installation w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Little by little I make progress on the installation of the Clearvue. I became frustrated in my efforts to find 6" ports, and decided to make them myself. As luck would have it, McMaster Carr carries acrylic tubing with an outside diameter of 6", which fits splendidly into the 6" 2729 pipe. I was a little shocked that a 12" piece of this tubing was $30 delivered. More on that later, though.

I inherited this old classic iron from my Pops. It's a Craftsman, probably from the 1940s, and it does NOT stop turning for any reason. That big old Milwaukee 6" holesaw puts a lot of stress on a lightweight drill, but this heavy iron doesn't even know it's there.

I used the holesaw (actually, I chucked it in the DP for this operation) to cut neat holes in hardboard, and then sliced off a section of the acrylic tube, and then mixed up some clear epoxy, and eureka, 6" dust ports.

The one on the left will be attached to the side of the router table, the one on the right will get a coat of Powermatic Gold and attach to the PJ882.

With the holesaw chucked into the old Craftsman, I sliced a neat hole in the metal lid of the dustbin and attached more expensive acrylic tubing. I then slipped the flex tube over the acrylic tubing and went crazy with the silicone.

<- top view underside ->

Now, I had really stressed over how to get the ducting from outside the shed into the shed. I knew the 2729 was 6-1/4" OD, and my old reliable holesaw cut 6", not 6-1/4". I had learned early in life that you cannot shove a larger diameter pipe into a smaller diameter pipe. Just cain't do it! All sorts of ideas had revolved through the gray matter, and nothing good came of it. Until I got the acrylic tube. Eureka! The tube will fit through a hole cut with the holesaw, and will fit inside the 2729 pipe. Here's a shot from inside showing the tube slipped inside the PVC.

Notice the studs on each side of the pipe. Lack of forward planning had placed the stud bay dimension at 6-1/2". By sheer random luck it wasn't 6". There wasn't much room to work, and without the holesaw and old Craftsman drill, I'd still be wondering how to do this. And reading about your adventures instead of sharing mine with y'all.

Anyway, a generous application of silicone made the tube fast within the PVC and did a fine job of weatherproofing the connection.

-and-

The Clearvue has a ramped feed into the cyclone, and that means the inlet tube is not parallel to the floor. To cure that problem, I fabricated this beautiful piece of work:

I mitered the 2729 with the bandsaw and tried to use PVC glue to glue the ends. No joy. So, I cleaned the PVC with ugly purple cleaner and daubed a bodacious quantity of expoy at the seam. I applied the standard test after 12 hours ( i.e., dropped it on the floor several times) and it held up nicely. This ungainly thing will adjust the angle of the uptake line so it will align properly with the main trunk entering through a vent in in the block foundation.

If anybody knows a more elegant way to rejoin mitered PVC, let's hear about it. There's a whole lotta glues out there, and epoxy can be a mess. However, epoxy has NEVER let me down.

Here's a side by side of the factory dust port and the homemade port. Note that the proper color has yet to be applied. The 6" port is about 28 sq inches, and the 4" is only 12.5 sq inches.Half again as large in diameter, but over double in area. The power of R squared, I guess.

Okay, let's talk about the exorbitant cost of that acrylic tubing. At $30/foot, that's about $2.50 per inch. Takes your breath away, doesn't it. However, the flimsy plastic dust ports cost $5.95. I made mine with 2" of tubing, $0.79 worth of epoxy, and scrap. So my ports cost $5.79. And I could NOT find any 6" ports locally or over-the-net. There's about $10 worth of tubing making that thru-wall connection. Considering the effort saved by being able to use the holesaw and having a very neat hole to weatherproof, that was a bargain. But it's still darned expensive stuff.

I'm going to use more of the tubing to pass the ductwork through the floor. I can cut the holes with the Milwaukee and Craftsman rig and make a nice, neat job of it. And for what it's worth, the circular rare earth magnets described below do a marvelous job of finding the nails in the hardwood floor. You just slide them along the seam and when they get within an inch of a nail they leap forward and take up position directly over the head. By marking out the nail heads, I should be able to determine a hole location that will miss the nails and save the old Milwaukee holesaw.

While I was taking pics for y'all (you do like pics, right?), I snapped a shot of my KDQS Sycamore offset gauges. One is a nibbler offset, the other is a cutoff offset. They were carefully and lovingly planed and the dimension verified by Mr. Wixey as well as Mr. Chan (he make for you the caliper digitals in WongSang province) at 1.125" and 1.000".

I drilled 3/4" holes in the bottom and put rare earth magnets encased in epoxy ( are you getting the idea that I enjoy working with epoxy?).

And finally here's a picture of a house critter who is scared to death to enter the shop. In this shot, he's guarding the hot dog bun that he won't eat, but instead carries all over the yard. His name (for real) is Governor Easley. I added this to make Mama happy, because we all know if Mama ain't happy...

M

McRabbet

Jim -- great WIP story -- as you know, I'm facing the same issues and agree that there are no 6" factory made ports out there. But I do have a solution. Use a 6" S2729 S&D coupling and saw it in half. Glue it to the hardboard (or MDF or Plywood) that you are using for your port connector -- this is the technique Alan in Little Washington used, too. One big advantage is that you are not reducing the diameter as the ID of the coupling is 6-1/4". As for cutting holes, I use my router and a Jasper No. 400 circle cutting jig -- you can vary hole diameters from 1" to 7" in diameter in 1/16" increments. It is what I've used for cutting holes in my floor or for making my own blast gates and it is safer then a flying blade circle cutter in the drill press!

Jim - an add-on to my message. In case you are looking for 6" flexible duct hose, I bought a 25' length of "Economical Clear PVC Duct Hose 6" ID X 6-7/32" OD" from McMaster-Carr (their Part No 56355K34) for $67.25 plus shipping. This is 15 mil PVC (versus the 25 mil PVC hose from Wynn Environmental) and seems to be plenty strong for our use. It will fit inside the bell end of S&D pipe as it is only 1/32" smaller than the OD of the pipe itself. You could use a short segment of this flex in place of the special fitting you made or you could use a 6" x 6" rubber sewer pipe connector (about $16 at Lowes) or, as I've seen in posts on SawMill Creek, you can heat bend S&D Pipe with careful heating with a propane torch.

Also for your info, I bought 6" wire hose clamps from Redmond Machinery in Atlanta for $0.95 each (http://www.redmondmachinery.com). At one point, Amazon.com had Jet wire hose clamps at $4 for a 5-pack, but they discontinued that deal (I ordered 5 packs and got 5 clamps after waiting for 3 months and then they said they made a mistake and refunded me for four packs -- I had to reorder from Redmond for the higher price and paid more for shipping to get what I needed).

Last edited by a moderator:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I thought you were going underneath to get into the shop or am I confused? Where did this cut out feed into in relation to the walls??

$30 a foot!!!! It works out like you say, but still, $30 a foot!!!!

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I thought you were going underneath to get into the shop or am I confused? Where did this cut out feed into in relation to the walls??

It comes out the hole, which is between the door to the "closet" and the wall of the shop. It then takes a 45° downward dive, outside the shop, parallel to the long wall to align with a foundation vent almost center-shop from front to back in the foundation. From the down dive at 45°, a 90° longsweep turns the duct parallel to the short wall and heads under the shop.

It just seemed like the 45° up-ramp will be easier on the airflow than a dead vertical lift, and going through the existing vent is a whole boatload easier than chiseling through the cinderblock.

Perhaps a picture is worth more than words? I'll snapshot the alignment when I am further motivated and have taken affirmative action.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Okay, let's talk about the exorbitant cost of that acrylic tubing. At $30/foot, that's about $2.50 per inch. Takes your breath away, doesn't it. However, the flimsy plastic dust ports cost $5.95. I made mine with 2" of tubing, $0.79 worth of epoxy, and scrap. So my ports cost $5.79. And I could NOT find any 6" ports locally or over-the-net.
Jim, thanks for posting the pictures. There's a lot of work involved in dust collection, especially when you're using 6" diameter hose & pipes.

For $5.79 per blast gate, you did good! How long did it take you to fabricate one (or more importantly: how long will it take you to fabricate all your blast gates?).

You can get 6" gates from the Blastgate Company. I bought my 4" gates from them, and I've been very happy with their performance. Their cheapest 6" model (cast aluminum) is ~$7.50, so you still saved a few dollars. They also have flex hose, not the cheapest but their cutoff bin sometimes has good value.

The acrylic tubing, will it take black paint?

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Bas, I was making dust ports, not blast gates. I got 6 clear acrylic blast gates from Ed when I ordered the cyclone package.

In terms of time, it takes about a minute to drill the 6" hole, about fifteen seconds to cut the acrylic, a couple of minutes to mix and apply the epoxy and 24 hours for the epoxy to fully cure. Since you can (and should) do other things while the epoxy cures, they're pretty quick to make.

RE: painting the acrylic... Well, I kinda like it crystal clear so I can glance at the port and see that nasty dust and those bothersome chips headed for the proverbial dustbin. I'm sure you could paint it,though.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks Jim. Reading is obviously not my strong point! Come to think of it, not many things are :)

Sounds like you have the procedure for making the dust ports down pretty well. It's certainly nice to see the dust moving (I've wished my trash can and lid were clear many times...), I was just wondering if having black ports would make it easier to spot dust leakage.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
To bond (solvent weld) acrylic or acrylic to pvc, you need the stuff they sell at plastic supply places (the stuff they sell for model airplanes is not strong enough.) There are a number of different chemicals, some no longer available. Some of the chemicals I have used in the past are Ethylene dichloride, Tricloroethylene, but in any case, a plastics supplier should know what you need.

M

McRabbet

Thanks Jim. Reading is obviously not my strong point! ...
I was just wondering if having black ports would make it easier to spot dust leakage.
Huh? :slap: I always thought that any leaks in a dust collection system would be into the system since it is under negative pressure, so how could you see the dust leakage evidence on a black port? Just picking on 'ya!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Rob, good point! Perhaps dust leakage is a poor term. Maybe pressure leak would be better. I had some clear hose attached to my table saw (black port). I noticed dust buildup between the hose and the port. It turns out that the clamp wasn't tight enough, bumping and pulling had caused it to come loose. It wasn't a big leak, but with a small DC, every bit counts!

You're absolutely right about negative pressure inside the DC system. So, the dust must have come from the ambient air, and is sucked into the open space between hose and port. That also tells me a lot of dust is escaping my table saw.

I had the same problem with my duct work, I noticed dust around one of the Wyes. First I thought it was static buildup, but it was just that one. Turns out I hadn't sealed one of the joints properly. It was difficult to see, with pine dust on white duct tape and white pipe. Here, too, it must have been caused by dust being sucked INTO the open Wye joint, not being blown out.

I also believe serving coffee on an airplane causes turbulence :)

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Great Job. For dust ports, I used the clear-vue clear gates. In addition to working exceedingly well, it gives me a visual check on any buildup in my machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors