Clear Vue cylclone

Status
Not open for further replies.

wapitiscat

New User
Todd Earnhardt
Here goes .... another DC/Cyclone thread. I'm looking to upgrade my Jet DC-1200 DC with a cyclone separator and came across this option (http://www.clearvuecyclones.com) after visiting Bil Pentz's site. I have an AFF oversize bag on the Jet and an ill fitting trash can separator for the chips. Based on the Pentz info and an earlier DC thread on this forum, putting a cyclone (regardless of design or vendor) in front of my 2hp motor driving a 12" impeller may improve chip collection but not fine dust collection. That leads me to look at a complete system with a bigger motor and impeller. The Clear Vue model is new to the market (I think) and the guy has changed the price point to compete with some of the other offerings ($895 and free shipping for a 5hp unit) like the Dust Gorilla and Woodsucker.

What's the NCWW'er opinion on the general DC upgrade and the Clear Vue cyclone?

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I've read a boat load on this subject researching my recent upgrade. The clearvue is Bill Pentz's design and he endorses it completely. In fact, he thinks the clear vue will outlast his design in galvanized. Speaking from recently acquired experience, I get pretty darn good collection with my upgrade. I won't minimize the risk of dust exposure / allergies but I think Bill is excessive by necessity because of his lung damage. To meet his vision, you would need to also eliminate all of the 4" dust ports on your tools and replace them with 6". If you do not already have all of your duct at 6" you'll have to upgrade that too.

If you are going for a packaged approach, I think you would do well with the Clear Vue, the Woodsucker, the new Grizzly and the Oneida Dust Gorrilla. AW just reviewed cyclones in the current issue. They didn't cover the Woodsucker or the Clear Vue but the rated Grizzly #1 and Oneida #2 with very little difference between them.

Not counting my ductwork upgrade, I have $169+ freight for the cyclone, $63+ freight for the cartridge filter, $20 in all thread and $13 for the small bucket. I already had the metal trash can and used my 2hp Grizzly for the blower.

wapitiscat

New User
Todd Earnhardt
Have you pulled any chips through your setup? I'd be interested to know the "handful of dust out of the filter after routing x amount of MDF" report. I think that is a good qualitative test indicating the relative amount of fine stuff dropping through the cone. You have a good point about Bill's situation and ho that is going to require his DC solution to be more robust. My setup seems to be doing OK. When my filter bag starts to tighten up, I give it a few whacks and the next time it doesn't inflate to resemble an overstuffed sausage.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Yes, I've run the gammot from big junk in the floor sweep to sanding with my performax. I have extremely fine dust the consistency of talcum powder that drops out into the trash can along with all of the big stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS