cleaning a miter saw blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

unimog

New User
CHO
I search the forum and found an array of solution for cleaning blades but my problem may be a little different.
A friend borrowed my my miter saw to work on his wooden floor; needles to say he used glue to secure the wood to the floor and he must have cut some of the plank after he glued them since there is glue around the saw and there is some build up on the blade.:BangHead:
Cleaning the saw it is not too hard as the glue can be removed by hand with no solvent, but I am a little lost on the proper solvent to clean the blade since it looks like there is a built up and it is hard to remove by hand.
Does anybody have any suggestion on a method to clean the blade out?
Thank you,
E

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Ask your friend what kind of adhesive was used and use a solvent for that adhesive as little as possible to get it off. For the usual sawblade cleaning I use CMT Bit and Blade cleaner. Simple Green has recently added an OK for Carbide toothed blade cleaning as long as you spray, wipe and rinse...IE:don't soak the blade in it. They suggest strong black coffee as a long term soaking cleaner.
http://www.simplegreen.com/solution...ng=en&action=artikel&cat=15&id=126&artlang=en

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If it's yellow glue, you could try heating it with a hairdryer before trying to scrape/ clean it off.

unimog

New User
CHO
The glue left over on the miter saw was definitely yellowish, I will try with the air dryer.
I will also get some of the cleaner suggested; since I am in Hickory I will try the Klingspor store first to get the CMT cleaner.
Thanks for the feedback

Tiffany

New User
Tiffany
I'd be tempted to ask him to either clean it or to buy you a new blade if he can't get it clean. I mean seriously, if you borrow something you should return it in good condition...

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I'd be tempted to ask him to either clean it or to buy you a new blade if he can't get it clean. I mean seriously, if you borrow something you should return it in good condition...
The trouble with asking a borrower to buy you a new blade is you usually get the cheapest blade that the BORG has on clearance. You know they(borrower) are cheap. because they borrowed your saw instead of buying one of their own.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Cleaning the saw it is not too hard as the glue can be removed by hand with no solvent, but I am a little lost on the proper solvent to clean the blade since it looks like there is a built up and it is hard to remove by hand.
Does anybody have any suggestion on a method to clean the blade out?
Thank you,
E

If the heat method doesn't work to remove the glue from the blade, use an old chisel (one you don't mind dinging up) and gently scrape the glue off the blade. After the glue is removed, try this to clean the pitch and tar off the blade. Find a pan big enough to hold your blade. Fill it w/ enough water to completely submerse the blade. Add two tablespoons of baking soda and stir to dissolve it. Wait 24 hours. Take the blade out and rub it w/ an old paint brush w/ the bristles cut to about 1" long. I've used this method for years and it works great. Cheap too! :icon_thum

Bill

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Ask your friend what kind of adhesive was used
+1!

I'd ask him if he had a can/tube/whatever of the adhesive still... THEN ask him to go look on the side of it and find out what the manufacturer recommends for removing the dry glue. I almost ALWAYS see that info on the side of adhesives.

1. You'll get the solvent recommended by the manufacturer. Note that some manufacturers of adhesives specifically made for flooring also sell a "special" remover. I noted the contents on such a jug (I think it was mineral spirits), then went to the solvents aisle and bought it for 1/10th the price.

2. Perhaps MORE importantly, your friend will get the message that he returned a dirty blade and will hopefully (at least) spring for the cleaner... might be a little "easier" method of breaking the news to him that he didn't return it the way some of us would prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS