Classified add image clarification....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Went around on this with Phil S when he had a problem posting a classified ad.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f86/trying-submit-classified-ad-23056/

End result, he pasted a URL in the Upload Image box in the Submit An Add section.

Whats odd, is it didn't return an error, but would not let him submit the ad. I'm looking at that seperatly.

What I wanted to run by the crew is a few wording changes to help folks in the future.

Currently, the text under the Upload Image button says:

Important Notice: The image you upload here, will be used as the default photo for your listing and as a thumbnail in the classifieds to represent your ad. The maximum image file size is 5500kb and the maximum image dimensions are 3600px high by 3600px wide.​

Also, in the helpful FAQ guide, we have this regarding picture uploads:
Can I have a Image in my ad?
Yes! You can have up to 8. When you first create the ad, upload the primary picture. Once created, you can add additional images.​

Does anyone feel it would be helpful to update the wording to clarify Upload Image must be done from their computer, not the Photo Gallery?

I'm happy to take a swag at it.

A more "NCWWesque" solution would be to hack Upload Image to make it work with the Photo Gallery. Thats more involved/impossible.

Standing by to recieve direction oh wise and omnipotent ones.

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I agree that could be explained better. I think for the Classifieds it would probably be best to use the add image function as an attachment like it is, it just needs better 'splaining. Upgrading the wording is probably the best way to go.

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

I agree with DaveO that a wording change is warranted, but let's avoid custom code -- while it is a bit more effort to upload a picture to an Ad versus linking it from one's Photo Gallery, it is no more than an extra 30 seconds of user input.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
While testing out the new VBClassified product, I also remembered to fix this.

In the Submit an Ad form, this is the phrase I changed.
$vbphrase[vbclassified_image_warning]

ORIGINAL TEXT
Text The image you upload here, will be used as the default photo for your listing and as a thumbnail in the classifieds to represent your ad. The maximum image file size is {1}kb and the maximum image dimensions are {2}px high by {3}px wide.

NEW TEXT
This image must be uploaded from your computer, NOT the Photo Gallery. It will be used as the default photo for your listing and as a thumbnail in the classifieds to represent your ad. The maximum image file size is {1}kb and the maximum image dimensions are {2}px high by {3}px wide.

I also rewrote the Image part of the Help on Placing and Managing your Classified Ad[/URL doc. When the photo gallery is open, I have some pics to insert into the text as well.

The new text is:
Can I have a Image in my ad?
Yes! You can have up to 8!
There are two types of Classified Images. The "Ad Details" images must be uploaded from your computer. You can have a maxium of 8 "Ad Details" images. The first image you upload will also be the Default image for your ad. You can change the default image if you wish.

To upload the "Ad Details" Image, on the third page of "Submit a new ad", you will see "Upload Image". Either click in the box or click the Browse button beside the box. This will open up a file selector where you can find the image you wish to use.

The next page after you submit your Ad will allow you to upload 7 more "Ad Details" Images.

Additionally, in "Additional Information" (which becomes "Ad message" in your posted ad), below the Smilies, you will see "My photos" and a link "[Insert]". This inserts an IMG tag inside the text, just like you would any post. These images come from your NCWoodworker Photo Gallery. Click once on any image you wish to add and it will put some fancy html in the text window​

Thanks,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS