Clarification on Non-Profit Corporate Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Because of a recent set of moderations and the knowledge that we are now a Non-profit corporation in the state of NC, a user(s) of this site has challenged our current content policies and indirectly the right off the staff to make these policies and enforce them.

So at this point, let me clarify how North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. works and is governed.

In July, NCWWI was incorporated by myself. At the same time I was made the ONLY member and director of the corporation. In Sept the following was done: I as the only director of the corporation modified the by-laws to allow for a BOD of 7 directors. This new board then elected me Chairman of the board. In addition, the by laws were further modified to allow for the following officers:
President
Vice-President
Vice-President For Internet operations (Webmaster)
Treasurer
Secretary

The board then designated the following people to fill these positions
President/Treasurer/VP for Internet operations Steve Coles
VP - Rob
Secretary Douglas Robinson

The board also stated the goal of a complete restatement of our By-laws that included the definition and process of members of the corporation. There have been 3 drafts of these inteneded restated By-Laws, but they have not been yet approved. Work on the by-laws was suspended becuase of the holidays and major conflicts. I expect that between the end of Jan and the middle of march, we will have new by-laws in place that will make clear who is and/or how can someone become a corporate member.

Until that time, I am the ONLY corporate member and therefore the last word on all issues.

On dec 21st, Dave O'Nan will become the VP of Internet Operations (Webmaster)

In May, we will have a members' meeting that will elect a "new" board of directors, who in turn will name officers and website staff. That "new" staff and board will then have the power to modifiy as they see fit, the policies of the website.

Once we have more corporate members (jan - Feb) a request by 10% of those members can force a binding vote of the members on just about anything. So once that time is upon us or at the yearly members' meeting, you can get rid of me and/or any others that you don't like. But until then, you will just have to live with and abide by our policies.

Being a registered user of this site does not make you a corporate member.

Only meeting the requirements of the pending new by-laws will do that.

Now with all that said, if you want to make statement of your ideas on site policy and get a sense of what the other site users think, please do. Post your opinion in the Members Announcements forum and attach a poll to see how others feel.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Steve I want to thank you for starting this site and setting the tone of the site. I greatly appreciate the site.

I also want to state that I'm involved in another online forum where petty bickering led to a complete uphevel.

Let's all agree to not let that happen over here, period end of story.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
a user(s) of this site has challenged our current content policies and indirectly the right off the staff to make these policies and enforce them.

Unbelievable! People just never cease to amaze me.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
This is a great site, and I appreciate all you do. Thanks. Glad I can use it and don't have to 'work' it.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Steve you have done a wonderful job of establishing this site and have the support of those who have been apart of organizing things. I appreciate you very much. You have spent hours making this site a top notch site so we have a fellowship of woodworkers. You are going to have someone challenge the system just too see how they can cause conflict for everyone. As the Past Chairman of a Fire Department Board of Directors, I know how conflict can damage the core of an organization. But once the Annual meeting is held then the elected Board will set the policies needed. Some will be revised some will be OK. Who ever becomes the Chairman/President must be open minded and the remainder must support each other to make the Organization, remembering they were elected to serve the corporation, NOT themselves. Keep up the great work and as always you have my support. Terry:icon_thum:eusa_clap

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Revisions to the rules.....
1. you no maka da game. you no maka da rules.
2. You dont lika da rules. start ur own game!:rotflm: you can slap me later steve.:slap:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You are going to have someone challenge the system just too see how they can cause conflict for everyone. As the Past Chairman of a Fire Department Board of Directors, I know how conflict can damage the core of an organization. But once the Annual meeting is held then the elected Board will set the policies needed. Some will be revised some will be OK. Who ever becomes the Chairman/President must be open minded and the remainder must support each other to make the Organization, remembering they were elected to serve the corporation, NOT themselves.
That's a great comment Terry. I believe we have a bunch of terrific people here on NCWW, and I'd like to think that many changes that will be proposed will be for the better. At the very least, those changes will be proposed with the best intentions at heart. Will this be difficult? Sure. We're going from what's essentially a one-man show to a more diverse staff and broad participation. Everyone, including me will need to adjust. And yes, I'm sure some policies will change. I think that's healthy, and ensures we stay current and relevant. Kudos to those who care enough to get involved.

I want to emphasize this: I will always assume that any suggested changes are made with the best intentions. I hope everyone will also assume that anything done by the staff is also made with the best intentions. (Well, almost. The only reason _I_ took this job is to make sure my favorite smilies are easily accessible :rolf:)

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
"with growth come all the problems of those who are the growth..."

Mr. Steve, I also wish to thank you for this site and all it means to so many. I know the changes are and have been necessary and you have undoubtedly labored over the decisions tirelessly. All the effort, time, and finances you have invested for so long have made this possible.

I hope this gets resolved and the party(ies) who are disgruntled can find somewhere to go where they can be as "gruntled as they deserve to be"!
I could say a lot more but it wouldn't be kind, or funny.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Steve, I sit on the board of a 501C3 non-profit organization, and have for several years.

As I'm sure you are aware, it is totally within the rights of the board of a Non-profit organization, and the staff members so hired/nominated by the board, to set policy and enforce it. Indeed, it is their responsibility to do so.

Period - end of story.

Scott

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Steve, I sit on the board of a 501C3 non-profit organization, and have for several years.

As I'm sure you are aware, it is totally within the rights of the board of a Non-profit organization, and the staff members so hired/nominated by the board, to set policy and enforce it.

Period - end of story.

Scott

Amen and amen!!

So let it be written, so let it be done!

Great job Steve & staff. (Well, you might improve on that TracyP guy!)

:wink_smil

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I wish I could say what I really want to say. Since I can not I will just say

Thank you Steve

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Because of a recent set of moderations and the knowledge that we are now a Non-profit corporation in the state of NC, a user(s) of this site has challenged our current content policies and indirectly the right off the staff to make these policies and enforce them.
After reading this again, I realize that this came across a bit stronger and a bit different than I intended.

First, the word challenged should probably replaced with questioned. I think what was actually suggested was that since we were now a corporation that the members be allowed to vote on the policies. Indirectly they are, but what the writer didn't realize is that I am the only member and I wanted to make that clear in the context of what have andwhat we will be doing.

Finally, not mentioned before was that part of the suggestions that were made ws that if we won't accept politcal, topical, etc topics, then we should eliminate the "Off Topic forum. We have done that several times:rotflm: But we are always asked to bring it back with the assurance that it can exist in harmony with our posting policies.:help::BangHead::dontknow:

Bryan S

Bryan
Thanks for the update Steve. I really like this site, like the tone, and enjoy coming here. You are not belittled for asking a question when the answer should be obvious, your project is simple (as most of mine have been), or you shop is not full of high end tools.

I was moderated once and rightly so, I violated the TOS and had no problem whatsoever with what was done.

I am glad you had this vision and like many others I appreciate all the work you and many others have put into this site.

rhett

New User
rhett
Thanks for the site Steve and everyone else who makes the machine run. It is a major goto even though I no longer live in NC. Why some people are intent on causing trouble for everyone else is beyond me. It must be a sad existence.
May all trouble makers be cursed with unreachable woodboogers!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Folks! this user who raised the questions that this post is addressing is not a bad person, actually he's pretty cool. He just didn't understand or agree with the actions that were taken in regards to one of his postings. The actions that were taken were not done due to his postings but due to subseqent postings that started to lead the thread in the wrong direction.
He raised some questions that needed defining and that is what this thread is trying to do.

Please withdraw the unreachable woodboogers :)eek: oh the misery) comment and other mean thoughts
:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi Big smiles because that is what is on my face while posting this.
No harm no foul to all. Let's all just have fun.

Dave:)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I really believe the off topic forum as it's place on this site. Where else am I to ask questions about my garden, vehicle troubles, or issues with my neighbors?

As someone mentioned to me, we have all (well most of us) been moderated for something at some point in time. I don't take it personally and try to keep my posts in check. Which isn't hard most of the time.

Without N.C.WW I wouldn't be involved in this hobby as deeply as I am (and loving every minute of it!!). I also wouldn't have met so many great people.

I think of this site as an escape. It's a place I come for woodworking and the ability to shoot the breeze. If I want to talk politics, I'll find a site dedicated to that, if I want to discuss religious beliefs I'll find the correct place to do it.

I guess my point is that the policies are clearly stated, there isn't much ambiguity to them. By logging in I agree to them, so I try to follow them.

Once the Board is set up and members of the corporation are established things might change. But I truly believe the path that N.C.WW takes will follow very closely to the one it's on now.

I know I take this site for granted! I can't wait to have the opportunity to help expand this site and help to keep it up and running.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Unreachable woodbuggers!:rotflm:

Now that's funny! While I haven't always agreed with certain items, I have never thought the posts or moderation was out of bounds....well, maybe once:gar-Bi, but that is part of being involved with any group. I think, as a whole, this group has done an unbelievable job of keeping this a very friendly and enjoyable group.

Steve, you have put together the best ww forum on the net. We have so many really cool bells and whistles that the other forums can't even comprehend. In addition you have some great people that are involved, so thanks to you, DaveO for filling his position, and the moderators for what we can all enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS