circular saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver828

New User
David
What are experiences here with the best circular saw? Talked with a guy yesterday about his Milwaukee 7 1/4 inch, to which he said, "It's okay for framing, but not for finish work. The Makitas are far and away superior to Milwaukee." What are your experiences?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For everyday use, I have an "old" B&D Super SawCat. The rear pivot is adjustable so as to allow for bringing blade and edge of base into alignment. This prevents "heeling" which causes tear out. DeWalt still makes this saw. Set you back about $175 though. Sorry I can't give you exact DeWalt model #. I use a Freud Diablo, 40 tooth blade from HD on it. Does a great job, when used with a guide, to break down sheet goods.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I have the Bosch worm drive saw and a Dewalt Saw. The Worm drive does a wonderful job. The dewalt does ok just not as powerful

Threejs

New User
David
Last week my 10yr old Skil circular saw flamed out. (Literally) I went out and got a dewalt (DW368K), and it is a great little saw.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I read a lot about circular saws because I use the eurekazone products as the mainstay for my cutting, along with my bandsaw. This cutting is all on a rail, so I'm not sure how it handles without a rail, but the general consensus is that the Makitas are best for that setup. The Milwaukee gets good grades also. I am about to upgrade from the 5007MGA (7 1/4")to the 5008MGA (8 1/4") for the extra depth of cut. The break also works really well, and is desirable when cutting on a rail because you dont usually remove the saw.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
For the most part, I think of circular saws as a construction-grade tool in general. However, a few blur the line a bit and offer a quality cut. The top, and most obvious, being the Festool circular saw with the guide system. This provides a superior cut in every regard. I too have tried (and returned) the Eurekazone system which claims to make just about any circular saw cut excellent. While I'm sure it does a good job, it just wasn't for me and so I returned it (great company, accepted the return no questions asked).

Do you have a tablesaw? I only ask because my buddy started with the Festool and just recently got a tablesaw. He has called me and said "why didn't you make me do this earlier".

It all depends on what you want to do ...

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I own a bunch of different circular saws, ie. 7-1/4", worm drive, 5-1/2", and my Dewalt regular 7-1/4 fits my hand best. I think all of the big names make good saws, go to the store and get a feel for them, or try someone else's because the right saw for you is the one that's most comfortable.

Good Luck,
Jimmy:mrgreen:

James Davis

New User
James Davis
I have Milwaukees that are used on the jobsite everyday and have held up for about 8 years now. I also use one in the shop that has never seen a jobsite. It does an excellant job breaking down sheet goods. It gives a clean cut and the adjustable handle makes all the difference in the world. It is however a handful because of the weight.

James:tool:

alleng

New User
allen
dewalts do a good job,ilike em cause they are fit my hand better...but.... the makita is a smoother saw

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
apples, oranges, bananas - FRUIT SALAD!
I have 2 old BD's. One has a fine tooth blade that works fine on paneling, the other has a diamond blade that does fine on brick/pavers etc. The Craftsman has the stock blade and does fine on plywood.
For everything else I use the Porter Cable. And oft as not I grab it just cause I like the thing so dang much.
If I had to replace any of them, I'd grab another PC in a flash.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I have the makita hypoid saw...by far the most powerful circular saw I have ever owned. It's a tad heavy, but cuts very well. I've cut everything from wet lumber to sub flooring with nails, pressure treated to expensive maple ply. No run-out on the blade from what I can tell, and plenty of power to spare. But if weight is an issue for you, then steer clear of it!! My $.02

here's the saw I'm talking about

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-5277NB...d_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1217880727&sr=8-2

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use and like my Milwaukee but sometimes I wish it had dust collection. A circular saw is a way to get with a 1/2 inch or inch (sometimes a quarter inch) of dimension to be followed up with the table saw to do the "real" cut. Often I throw a lattice of 1x4s on the top of the little trailer the plywood came home in and cut there - to keep the dust out of the shop.

I also use a Ryobi 18V cordless sometimes. It will not do a lot of 3/4 sheet goods but for a little bit of work it is nice to avoid the cord.

If I were to buy another today, I would probably get the PC for the dust collection.

Jim

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the PC "left Hand" saw and am very happy with it. With a 40 tooth blade and a homemade saw guide, it is quite accurate on parting out plywood sheets. At 15 amps, it wades through all construction type cuts with no problem. Quieter than my Craftsman. Cast shoe makes it accurate with an edge guide in ripping out 2 x construction lumber.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS