Church Cabinet Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoToLeep

New User
Dan
OK.....Have done a lot of work on this cabinet. Made some mistakes (fortunately, easy to fix). A neighbor of mind has a very nice router table and bits, so we made cope and stile raised panel doors. I used pine for the rails and stiles, doors and drawer fronts, 3/4" Arauco plywood everywhere else. Dimensions are 36" high x 60" long X 14" deep (front to back). It is going to be painted. Any hints on the painting are appreciated. Here are some pics.

IMG_09633.JPG

This was my trick to draw the line for the arcs on the front and sides. Used a long straight edge for the front arcs and the saw below for the sides. I know you all have probably done something similar, but I thought I was a genius for coming up with this........for 3 seconds.

IMG_09652.JPG

IMG_09692.JPG

IMG_09711.JPG

IMG_09741.JPG

IMG_09761.JPG

Will be doing the final sanding today, then painting starting tomorrow. More pics to follow. Thanks for looking. BTW, all comments, questions, and critiques are welcomed.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent job. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I would suggest spraying it, but I haven't actually done that before on furniture, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dan,

The cabinet is looking really good. What will the church be using this for? I remember my father making a lot of cabinets, etc for the church.

GoToLeep

New User
Dan
Thanks everyone. Keep everything coming
Dan,

The cabinet is looking really good. What will the church be using this for? I remember my father making a lot of cabinets, etc for the church.

It is for our sound and video area. Storage etc.

CDN_Maple

New User
ETN
Nice work on the cabinet. I am sure that it will be appreciated. As far as painting it, I do agree that spraying it might be the best option, but sometimes that is not available. If you decide to paint it by hand, make sure that you get the roller specifically for cabinets and drawers. I learned that through experience and my wife pointing it out. :gar-Bi

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice cabinet there, Dan!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc I am sure that it will be appreciated and used for quite awhile.

If you are going to paint as a finish, I would highly recommend XIM brand sealer-primer followed with a couple of coats of Sherwin Williams ProClassic satin enamel. I used both products on two sets of bathroom cabinets and a 1/2 bath vanity and it has held up very well. I too don't have the luxury of a sprayer, but this stuff flowed extremely well (without brush streaks) and leveled nicely. (They are both oil based products.)

HTH

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Dan: IF spraying is an option, I like to prime with Zinsser's B-I-N. It's shellac based and goes on very nice w/ HVLP equipment. Dries in less than 30 min. Then I topcoat w/ an oil based paint, again using HVLP sprayer.

Unless you have some very high end spray equipment, I wouldn't even try spraying water based latex. I've done some with a traditional sprayer, and it comes out "okay", but certainly not what I'd consider furniture quality finish.

Bill

GoToLeep

New User
Dan
Dan: IF spraying is an option, I like to prime with Zinsser's B-I-N. It's shellac based and goes on very nice w/ HVLP equipment. Dries in less than 30 min. Then I topcoat w/ an oil based paint, again using HVLP sprayer.

Unless you have some very high end spray equipment, I wouldn't even try spraying water based latex. I've done some with a traditional sprayer, and it comes out "okay", but certainly not what I'd consider furniture quality finish.

Bill

Bill....Spraying is not an option. Will have to get those cabinet/trim rollers and a good trim brush.
BTW...it was very nice to meet you at the picnic.

GoToLeep

New User
Dan
Nice work on the cabinet. I am sure that it will be appreciated. As far as painting it, I do agree that spraying it might be the best option, but sometimes that is not available. If you decide to paint it by hand, make sure that you get the roller specifically for cabinets and drawers. I learned that through experience and my wife pointing it out. :gar-Bi

Went to Lowes looking for the special rollers and found the foam based rollers. Is that what you were referring to?

Nice work Dan!!!

Thanks Travis. And it was very nice to meet you.

Looks spiffy, Dan.

Thanks Lefty

Very nice cabinet there, Dan!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc I am sure that it will be appreciated and used for quite awhile.

If you are going to paint as a finish, I would highly recommend XIM brand sealer-primer followed with a couple of coats of Sherwin Williams ProClassic satin enamel. I used both products on two sets of bathroom cabinets and a 1/2 bath vanity and it has held up very well. I too don't have the luxury of a sprayer, but this stuff flowed extremely well (without brush streaks) and leveled nicely. (They are both oil based products.)

HTH

Wayne

Thank you Wayne. I am stuck with buying the paint from Lowes. Was looking at their high end paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS