chucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1999

Chris
User
I was looking at that as well last week at the store in Raleigh. It was on sale I think for about 180 and then you have to buy the insert for 20. I am also looking on amazon that has the G3 with a 1x8tpi insert for 129. I mostly use my lathe for bowls and so I do not think I would use the 2 smaller chucks (35 mm and smaller one). However, I am unsure about the Mini Cole Jaws if I would use them or not. So if I am thinking if I buy the one on amazon for 129 then I could upgrade the Minicole jaws later if I decide I needed them and would be around the same $200.

Chris

Don Alexander

New User
Don
i have a Nova G3 chuck with pretty much those same jaws and it works great ...... i have used all of the different jaws at various times lots of versatility with that package

kclark

New User
Kevin
I liked the G3 package and almost pulled the trigger, but the G3 had an almost smooth jaw. Small ridge for holding bowl tenon. Unlike the Talon that has several ridges to grab hold. Didn't know what other's experiences have been with a face like the G3 has, ie flying saucers and the like.

Don Alexander

New User
Don
mount it in the chuck properly and don't try to hog off massive amounts of material at higher than rated speeds and you won't have any issues with flying saucers :gar-Bi

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I too have the Nova G3 chuck - but without all the extra jaws. As I recently have tried to turn different types of items, I would have been able to make use of all those accessories. Of course with turning (or flat WW), there is always something else to buy and that's not always in my budget.

I have had a few flying saucers, but in each case I can attribute that to user error, not the chuck. Most of the time that has been too shallow an opening (expansion mode) or not seating the jaws on the shoulder well enough.

Don provides good advice above - keep to safe speeds and reasonable removal rates.

I have been quite happy with this - but it is the only chuck I have ever used.

Henry

jtdums

New User
Jim
We use the Oneway Talon at the school where I teach and I can attest to them being a quality product. They have a number of jaws available and can be as versatile as you need. If they can survive in a school environment you can bet on them in a home shop.
Depending on what lathe you have and what you are going to be turning, the Supernova might be over kill.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
I have a G3 and like it a lot. I also have two SN’s and a SN2. As far as I know the talon is a great chuck…but $100+ more for the chuck and basic jaws.

My take on the G3 package is that it is a good deal if you need/use all of the jaws.
I do like the Pin Jaws because of the small diameter spigot and being able to expand into a 1” diameter recess.
The 35mm jaws ---Same spigot diameter as the Pin Jaws so that is a duplication. The 35mm diameter for a recess is getting close to your 50mm jaws – about ½” less.
Mini Cole – Up to you, interior is 8.5” max and exterior 6.5”. Some people love ‘em, others seem to use them once and they then collect dust. Your call.

On the single G3 another option is available. The G3-D
G3 Amazon $130 G3 Ebay $125 Both have free insert and free shipping
G3-D Amazon $140 G3-D Ebay $137 Free shipping on both. The G3-D is direct threaded so if your lathe isn’t 1X8 you can’t use it. If you can, take a look at the jaws (Amazon site is better) and you will see they are deeper and have 3-4 rows of serrations inside the jaws.

If you go with the single G3, I would go with the G3-D. Same chuck - made by Nova/Teknatool, just made for Delta. They also make chucks/lathes for Jet, Record Tools in the UK and others.

You also save $16 or so in sales tax with amazon or the bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors