Christmas tree - Recycled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Last year I decided that I was tired of laying out good cash for a Christmas tree that would end up in the landfill a few weeks later. A few days of thinking about it led to the creation here.

Eight leaves of 1/4" luan recycled from the walls in my shop inserted in grooves in a center stalk of fir recycled from my now demolished car port. It was fun making the octagonal tapered stalk although it took much too long to make the jig to rout the grooves in each face. This is the second year we've displayed it and although folks tend to snicker when I describe it, they all seem impressed when they see it.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas to all.

Attachments

• Tree1.jpg
    Tree1.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 224

DaveO

New User
DaveO
folks tend to snicker when I describe it, they all seem impressed when they see it.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas to all.

My first reaction was just that. But then I enlarged your picture and saw how cool it looked....plus I have a thing for stuff made out of wood.
Personally I am not a fan of a live tree. I hate the idea of something being grown to just be cut down to use as decoration for a few weeks and then disposed of. Currently I have a cheap fake tree, that doesn't look to bad once buried in ornaments and lights. But I might have to consider trying your idea, it would fit in well with my decor of homemade furniture.
Merry Christmas right back to you...I hope you don't have wooden stockings :lol::lol:

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Whoa - that looks pretty cool. Nothing to snicker at there, it looks like a considerable amount of time went into planing and making that tree. :icon_thum

I still get a live tree each year. I really love a natural tree. Tree farmers gotta live, too! :)

Chuck

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Sure Daveo, you hate when they grow those poor trees just to cut them down, BUT... it's okay too grow those hop plants just to harvest them for beer...eh! Hoser:rolf:.

Jimmy:)

My first reaction was just that. But then I enlarged your picture and saw how cool it looked....plus I have a thing for stuff made out of wood.
Personally I am not a fan of a live tree. I hate the idea of something being grown to just be cut down to use as decoration for a few weeks and then disposed of. Currently I have a cheap fake tree, that doesn't look to bad once buried in ornaments and lights. But I might have to consider trying your idea, it would fit in well with my decor of homemade furniture.
Merry Christmas right back to you...I hope you don't have wooden stockings :lol::lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sure Daveo, you hate when they grow those poor trees just to cut them down, BUT... it's okay too grow those hop plants just to harvest them for beer...eh! Hoser:rolf:.

Jimmy:)

The hop plants live on after the flowers are harvested.
Don't mess with my beer...dude:evil:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

J

jeff...

That is a really cool Idea looks great too :icon_thum We used to get live trees, till a few years ago. I grabbed a cedar out of the woods - real nice form and smelled great. But a few day in the house hatched out a nest of baby praying mantis's. We got us a fake one after that.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS