Christmas Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexL

New User
Alex Lesniak
Well I finally finished the 32 pen order :banana: I hope you like them. This customer ordered 4 each of 8 different pens.

This first group is 4 gold navigators in ebony with a CA finish

IMG_6960_1024x768_.JPG

Next are 4 gold Jr Retro pens made in green Verde resin. Although this pen looks similar to the navigator it is a bigger pen. It's the same size as a Jr Gent.

IMG_6963_1024x768_.JPG

They ordered 12 Wall St II pens. These first 4 are chrome and made with cross grain Morado and a CA finish.

IMG_6965_1024x768_.JPG

These next 4 are black titanium and gold in big leaf maple burl. The CA finish is satin.

IMG_6967_1024x768_.JPG

These last four are gold and made from feathered oak with a CA finish.

IMG_6968_1024x768_.JPG

I really like the look of feathered oak. It has an amazing grain. It can be difficult to turn because it might blow out and it is really hard to finish because of the open grain and voids BUT it is one of the best looking woods I work with.

IMG_6970_1024x768_.JPG

Next is a set of Jr Gent rollerball pens in cross grain Morado.

IMG_6971_1024x768_.JPG

I really like the look of Morado when turned cross grain. The swirls wrap around the pen.

IMG_6972_1024x768_.JPG

Next are 4 more Jr Gents this time in black cherry burl from Chris Britain

IMG_6973_1024x768_.JPG

All 4 of the pens were cut from the same burl but they all look very different.

IMG_6974_1024x768_.JPG

Last is a set of screw cap European roller ball pens in platinum made from big leaf maple burl with a CA finish.

IMG_6976_1024x768_.JPG

Now I have 10 more pens to finish before Christmas. alex

nelsone

New User
Ed
Alex, you are really cranking them out! They all look great. I did a pen out of ebony that I wasn't too happy with because it ended up looking like plastic. What are your thoughts on the ebony? They are very elegant pens.

AlexL

New User
Alex Lesniak
Alex, you are really cranking them out! They all look great. I did a pen out of ebony that I wasn't too happy with because it ended up looking like plastic. What are your thoughts on the ebony? They are very elegant pens.

I like Ebony, it's easy to turn and takes a finish real nice, but you are right if you make it too shiny it does look like plastic. The first fountain pen I ever made was from ebony. It was totally black and you couldn't see any grain. I sanded it super smooth and finished it with CA and polished it to a really high gloss. We sold it to someone my dad works with. Whenever he shows it to someone they say it's plastic. :dontknow: The ones I just made do have some grain and Ithinkk they look really good but maybe next time I'll do a satin finish to show off the wood. I have had an ebony pen come back because of cracks. alex

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow Alex, those are some really classy looking pens. Mont Blanc, Waterman or Lamy have got nothing on you. I could easily see one of your pen sitting on the President's desk.

Dave:)

Dragon

New User
David
Alex, words cannot convey my appreciation for your abilities at such a young age. Your work is immaculate and is something all of us can aspire to. :eusa_clap:icon_thum:eusa_clap

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
:notworthy: Way to go Alex!:icon_thum The quality of your work is very impressive. You are talented well beyond your years. Keep up the great work. :notworthy:

Rob

New User
Rob
Awesome pens Alex. How do you get a satin CA finish? I haven't turned Ebony but one of my favorite woods is African Blackwood. Very dense and hard, turns great, and with BLO and CA finish, just a hint of grain.

AlexL

New User
Alex Lesniak
Awesome pens Alex. How do you get a satin CA finish? I haven't turned Ebony but one of my favorite woods is African Blackwood. Very dense and hard, turns great, and with BLO and CA finish, just a hint of grain.

Normally I would wet sand with micro mesh to 12000 and polish with plastic polish. For satin I sand to 4000 and buff with a paper towel. alex

nelsone

New User
Ed
. I could easily see one of your pen sitting on the President's desk.

Dave:)

Hey, That's a neat idea! Alex, you should send him one with the story of what you are doing with the proceeds. You may just get some recognition! Send one and see what happens!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Normally I would wet sand with micro mesh to 12000 and polish with plastic polish. For satin I sand to 4000 and buff with a paper towel. alex

Hey Alex,

I am so impressed by your pens every time I see them and then look at mine and think, dang I suck~! Your Pens totally rock and I am sure your customers are very happy~!

I would like to become better, especially at the finish. I have read about doing the CA finish, but have never tried, any brand of CA and thickness and website you recommend to get it at?

And if you happen to have time, I know you have an awesome camera, would you make a video of you doing the finish on one of your pens? :eusa_pray :notworthy: I learn better seeing things being done than reading about them.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Alex fantastic work :thumbs_up I come across a feathered oak often PM me your shipping address, let me know the blank size you need and I'll be more than happy to ship you some blanks.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Awesome work Alex!
I still can't believe you're only 12. When I was your age the only thing I could make was a mess!
I'm not familiar with the names of the pens. Where do you get your kits?
I too would love to see a video of your finishing technique if you'd be so kind as to share it with us.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS