Chisel rack take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
A couple months ago I made a rack for holding some of my most used hand tools: http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34198

This Christmas I was given the set of Narex mortise chisels that Lee Valley had a special on. I really like those chisels!!!

Anyway I needed to put them within reach and organized so I made another chisel rack:

69CG8952.JPG

View image in gallery

The design is very similar to the first one I made. Only difference is I made individual fitting holes for each chisel. Much better!

For full details on the simple design/construction see the thread linked above.
Thanks for looking!
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Looks good Salem. :icon_thum I love organization in my shop and I'm gradually redoing a lot of my previous attempts / failures. :gar-Bi

Bill

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
Much nicer than my current holes bored wood! Well now I get to start another project!!! Thanks for the ideas. :saw:

Gabe

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Is it put together with just a glue up assembly and attached to the wall using the french cleat?
The 50 year old ROOKIE:dontknow:

eyekode

New User
Salem
Pretty much. Check out the thread on my first build: http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34198
It has more detailed pictures.
But basically I start with three pieces of wood the same size. One becomes the front, one becomes the back and the last becomes dividers (so it doesn't actually need to be as long as the other two).
1) I then rip about 1" off the bottom of the back piece. This will be the bottom support of the french cleat.
2) Then I rip the top of the back piece at a 45 degree angle leaving plenty of meat on both pieces because they will form the french cleat.
3) Then I cross cut dividers for creating storage regions. I cut these out of a third piece of stock that is the same width as the other two.
4) Then I lay out the back pieces (minus the strip I cut out to mount on the wall in step 2). The dividers are exactly the right height to help align these two pieces.
5) I use glue and a brad gun to fix the end dividing pieces. This insures the back is square. The brads will be hidden by the top board.
6) Then I brad nail in the dividers (and glue) making sure they are square.
7) Finally I glue the front on and clamp it up.

I also make a second similar assembly and glue it to the front to hold squares and other thin bladed tools. For this I use a much thinner divider. But make sure the back of this piece is thick enough to accommodate the shoulder of your squares.

Hrm, it is easier to do than describe. If this isn't clear I can provide a sketchup model :).
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS