Chippendale Mirror pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
When I bought my house 10 years ago, the former owners had a Chippendale mirror and I thought it looked cool. So, with my developing woodworking skills and a plan in Fine Woodworking, I made the mirror pictured below (The lines in the mirror are reflections from the beveled glass).

I had used a scrollsaw only once before (to cut the feet for the chest I made), but this was way more challenging. I practiced on some waste areas of the veneer panel and then cut out the patterns (the big curves are much harder to do than the smaller ones!). The veneer is some miscellaneous figured brown wood that came in a grab bag pack from the woodworking shows - the guy said it was in the "Mahogany family" - whatever you say dude :dontknow:.

The construction is basically the scrollsawed Poplar core with veneer on both sides glued to a half lapped Poplar frame with mitered Mahogany molding glued to the front. It's stained to give it a uniform color.

I got the glass from a framed mirror I bought at TJMaxx for $13 (and then donated the frame to the landfill).:icon_thum

At work, this project is now known as just a frame I made after all the jokes about a certain risque dance troupe. :roll:

0153.jpg

J

jeff...

Sweet looking mirror frame - can you see into the future when looking at it - tell me what does the future hold?

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.

But probably buying some pen turning stuff and dusting off the lathe...

T

toolferone

Very nice, and I love how you got the mirror. It would have cost way more if you ordered it special from a glass shop. I'll have to make a note about that.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice, and I love how you got the mirror. It would have cost way more if you ordered it special from a glass shop. I'll have to make a note about that.

+1, great job.
I have bought El-cheapo picture frames just for the glass in them.

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.
:rotflm:

The construction is basically the scrollsawed Poplar core with veneer on both sides glued to a half lapped Poplar frame with mitered Mahogany molding glued to the front
I lost you at 'basically'. :)

Seriously though, that's an awesome looking frame/ mirror. :icon_thum You have to look really nice before you can use something that fancy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS