Chip carving knife I made last week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
The front 1/3 of the blade is scalpel sharp but the bottom 2/3rds is very dull, not sure exactly what went wrong but I need to regrind the edge. Handle is mahogany, finished in shellac and buffed with 0000 steel wool and wax. The blade is a Dewalt reciprocating blade cut and polished to 2000 grit (it's actually much shinier than it looks in the picture). I've never handled a chip carving knife and in retrospect this one seems much larger than commercial ones and might be too large. I might use this one to general whittling duty and make another more appropriately sized.

KH1ZWidl.jpg

1fz3uNtl.jpg

7NSt1STl.jpg

More pics:
http://imgur.com/a/XaOqs

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Always good to see someone making their own tools.

Two things that spring to mind and I'm only asking them to sort of warn other toolmakers.
*-- Did you make sure to use a blade that was not a Bi-metal type?
*-- sort of a Corollary - Did you make sure not to draw the temper when grinding? Was the initial temper hard enough for what you wanted to do?
The original edge may be zone heat treated and if you ground through that you are into softer metal.

I figure if you made your own blade then you already asked these questions, but the info could be of use to the next maker.

Handle does look a bit beefy, but everyones hand and needs are different.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
nice work Rick
my only thought on the size of the handle is -
how does it feel in your hand?

Rick M

New User
Rick
Well the handle feels fine, I tend to like beefy handles, it's more the blade I'm worried about. The blade has a 2" diameter and is a full 1/16" thick, and after looking at pictures of commercial knives they appear to be much smaller and thinner.

Always good to see someone making their own tools.

Two things that spring to mind and I'm only asking them to sort of warn other toolmakers.
*-- Did you make sure to use a blade that was not a Bi-metal type?
*-- sort of a Corollary - Did you make sure not to draw the temper when grinding? Was the initial temper hard enough for what you wanted to do?
The original edge may be zone heat treated and if you ground through that you are into softer metal.

I figure if you made your own blade then you already asked these questions, but the info could be of use to the next maker.

Handle does look a bit beefy, but everyones hand and needs are different.

No, I appreciate all the advice and questions... I'm entirely a beginner.

re: Bi-metal: No, in fact I was under the impression I was supposed to use a bi-metal blade. The donor blade was a Dewalt reciprocating saw blade made for construction use, cutting through nails and whatnot. The metal is very hard, too hard to drill. Is that wrong for this sort of knife?

re: Temper: Yes, I was very careful and dunked the metal in water anytime it felt uncomfortably warm. Also I like to use my hand grinders for shaping the edge then finish with diamond sharpeners then sandpaper.

re: Needs: Well that's where I'm entirely ignorant. I've never held a chip carving knife nor done any chip carving so I'm working a bit blind. I guess that's something I won't know until I actually do some carving.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Well the handle feels fine, I tend to like beefy handles, it's more the blade I'm worried about. The blade has a 2" diameter and is a full 1/16" thick, and after looking at pictures of commercial knives they appear to be much smaller and thinner.

No, I appreciate all the advice and questions... I'm entirely a beginner.

re: Bi-metal: No, in fact I was under the impression I was supposed to use a bi-metal blade. The donor blade was a Dewalt reciprocating saw blade made for construction use, cutting through nails and whatnot. The metal is very hard, too hard to drill. Is that wrong for this sort of knife?

The metal used in a bimetal edge is chosen to be suited for good abrasion resistance and ability to handle shock. It can be made hard, but my guess it is tempered to a softer state to avoid breakage like if you hit a nail. Also, you could remove the bimetal edge while grinding and shaping or the weld could fail during use (low probability). You might be better served by using a known piece of carbon tool steel. Having said that, I would take one of the blades you were using, heat it to where a magnet wouldn't stick to it and quench it in water. Wear safety gear!!!!. It may break/shatter. If it doesn't, try and file the back side of the blade. If the file won't bite the steel will harden and temper. Just make your knife after removing the bimetal edge. It is a lot to process. PM me and i will explain further.

re: Temper: Yes, I was very careful and dunked the metal in water anytime it felt uncomfortably warm. Also I like to use my hand grinders for shaping the edge then finish with diamond sharpeners then sandpaper.

Slight chance you ground away the bimetal edge. Your sharpness problem could stem from this , but more likely it's a combination of blade thickness and bevel.

re: Needs: Well that's where I'm entirely ignorant. I've never held a chip carving knife nor done any chip carving so I'm working a bit blind. I guess that's something I won't know until I actually do some carving.

Hope that helps. Making tools is a wonderful way to spend time in the shop and learn how they work.

MagGeorge

New User
George
It's great to make own tools because they fit to ones needs and preferences. You did great work on making such a beautiful tool.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rick,
I am not using my chip carving knives, would you like to borrow them as "Guides?"
Obviously, I would have to mail them to you and you back, but they may be good reference for what you are doing!
Additionally, (to me) this lookes more like a carving knife than a chip carving knife. Have a look at Wayne barton's site (if you haven't already) - http://www.chipcarving.com/

you will see there is a "back angle" to the blade due to the angle you are approaching the wood. I have not done much chip carving, I simply do not have the patience. But I used the techniques to carve letters and other ornamenting in some flat work (YEARS ago!)

Rick M

New User
Rick
Yeah I had trouble finding out the proper angle, best I came up with was 20d on each side. I don't have any intention of becoming a real carver but I would like to add some simple decorations from time to time just to spruce things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS